FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Bug_cemetery
I’ve had a Huernia zebrina for awhile but kind of just discovering the rest of that family. Anyone growing these? Recommendations on where to buy cuttings? What are your favorites?

Huernia zebrina loves to root in my sphagnum tray so I have some available for trade if anyone is interested.
Attachments:
91B062FE-25D0-4821-8FFF-951F4B7509D3.jpeg
91B062FE-25D0-4821-8FFF-951F4B7509D3.jpeg (192.28 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
By evenwind
It was a while ago, but I used to find Arid Lands Greenhouses dependable: http://aridlandswholesale.com/oscommerce/index.php
IMG_0266a.jpg
IMG_0266a.jpg (141.92 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
By Bug_cemetery
Oooh I’m gonna be spending some time on that site. It says wholesale right in their url but they gave shipping rates for smaller orders, I’m assuming that they will sell to individuals? I’ll have to ask about heat packs too since I’m in MI.
By evenwind
They may have changed their policies (as I said, it's been a while) but I used to get small orders from them with no problem.
By DragonsEye
I have H. zebrina, H. schneideriana, and Stap. giantea. Zebrina is the easiest of the Huernia. Many of the others can be quite challenging. Schneideriana isn't too demanding. I've often sold off cuttings of mine. If you like weird flowers, you might like Ceropegia.
By SDK1
They're a favorite of mine. Have grown S. grandiflora, S. gigantea, S. leendertziae, and H. schneideriana. They're all pretty robust plants and grow like weeds ime. Interesting, but not surprising, that your H. zebrina roots readily into the sphagnum.

If you haven't already you should check out Orbea variegata and Edithcolea grandis. They're two pretty beloved Stapeliads due to their flowers.

I've got a Rhytidocaulon macrolobum that I hopefully won't kill over winter. It's a pretty neat one. There's a real rabbit-hole of succulent members of the milkweed family to fall into tbh. Get real wild and go looking for some Pseudolithos spp. or even Whitesloanea spp.
By DragonsEye
Pseudolithos are very cool plants, but, from what folks have told me, are challenging for most people to grow and very unforgiving of mistakes in their culture. They are also extremely slow growers.
By SDK1
100%. Sloooow-growing and need high temps pretty consistently. Definitely not a plant for beginners but a good one to aim for. I'll know I'm a competent grower once I can get one of them from seed to flower successfully :lol:
By evenwind
One thing to keep in mind, most stapeliads grow best outdoors. A few, like the Orbea variegata in my pic, are happy enough to flower under lights. My understanding is that even when they flower under lights, the light isn't strong enough to bring out their fragrance. On the other hand, they use flies as pollinators. Not surprisingly, their fragrance is something attacts flies, like rotten meat or dead animals. Which is why they're known as "carrion flowers". So the choice is to grow a few forgiving ones under lights or plant the outdoor ones upwind from your obnoxious neighbors...
SDK1 liked this
By Bug_cemetery
Orbea variegata and Edithcolea grandis are definitely on my wish list! Also, O. dummeri, S. leendertziae, H. schneideriania, and Caralluma schweinfurthii are too.
Code: Select all
My understanding is that even when they flower under lights, the light isn't strong enough to bring out their fragrance.
This would be ideal for me! I’ve had some concerns about growing them indoors over winter because my grow space is also my office and my tolerance of anything reminiscent of a rotting carcass isn’t high :lol:
I haven’t found H. zebrina to be offensive but I have heard that some species would be intolerable to have bloom indoors.
My plants can be outside from about May to October but inside for the rest of the year. Space is a concern when they are inside, so “slow growing” might be a good feature for me. Im a bit hesitant about anything with “gigantea” in its name for the same reason. Does S. gigantea really get that large if it’s container grown? I suppose I could grow it for a few years and if it gets too big, take cuttings and rehome the mother plant.
Code: Select all
Interesting, but not surprising, that your H. zebrina roots readily into the sphagnum.
Yeah it seems a bit curious since sphagnum and succulents would be unlikely to meet in nature! I’m not sure if it’s just the way that live sphagnum wicks up water and creates a barely damp cushion or if there is something about its supposedly antiseptic properties that discourage rot but it works really well for succulents.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!