FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
Hi all,
So all of my Sarrs and VFTs are dormant and living in the garage for the winter. Temps are 45 to 55 °F. However, the only lighting comes from windows in the garage door and it's pretty dim. I've read that dormant plants don't need much light and can even get through dormancy with little to none at all. This makes sense given that some plants actually sit in a dark refrigerator for the winter.
There's a lot of differing advice online, some of it a bit contradictory. Since this is my first dormancy I thought I'd ask the experts.
Should I use some artificial lighting for a few hours a day to get these guys through the winter? Would any light bulb be ok, or should it be a grow light?
By optique
My 1st year I placed my plants in a unheated building in a window. I did not see any bad effects.
By steve booth
A light bulb won't help much I'm afraid, as it doesn't have all the wavelengths of light required, nor would I splash out on a grow light. If your plant is getting some light it will be OK, it will get its cues from the decreasing or increasing photoperiods and start growing as the daylight extends, when it starts growing then you need to give it every photon of sunlight you can, otherwise, they will get etiolated.
Cheers
Steve
By ChefDean
I put mine in an unheated but insulated, windowless garage to sleep the Tennessee winter away. The only time they see light is indirectly when I open the roll up door and I haven't had any problems yet.
By Panman
As long as it normally stays below 45, they will not need light. If the temperature climbs above that for any period of time, they will attempt to restart photosynthesis and will require lights.
Dan V liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
Gary wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:58 am I'm in Prescott, AZ. The map says 8b to 9a.
Okay, that's pretty warm. If you're really worried about it, you could just leave them outside and only bring them in if you get an unusual cold snap. Should be no big deal as long as you don't forget.
By optique
if he is 8b he should be fine out in the open outside.
By Gary
After drilling a bit deeper, I found that the micro-climate around here (5000 ft elevation) is actually a 6a/6b. We get below freezing most nights starting in October.
By hicklerebecca
I'm worried that a light bulb won't be much of a help because it lacks all the necessary light wavelengths, and neither would I spend a lot of money on a grow light. If your plant is receiving some light, it will be fine. It will take cues from the elongating or shortening photoperiods and begin to grow as the day grows longer. However, once it begins to grow, you must provide it with as much sunlight as you can because otherwise the photons will become etiolated.
Perlite from Ebay

The website, http://www.perlagro.co.uk/product/per[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!