FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
So all my VFTs and Sarrs are finally dormant. I've been trimming off blackened traps as needed and found that my two largest VFTs each have 3-4 divisions. If the babies all survive the winter, I'm gonna be up to my knees in flytraps when I repot everything in the spring.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Where are you located? I’m leaving my traps and a couple of trimmed sarrs in an unheated area of an old mobile home…south Alabama.
By Gary
I'm in central AZ. Daytime temps are in the 50s and 60s, but this week the night temps are dropping into the teens. I moved them into the garage for the winter, it usually stays in the 40s in there.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
We got down to around 25F last night. Looks like we're going to bouncing at 32F or just above for the next several days. Not bad, chilly for us, though. ;)
By Gary
Yeah, this is colder than usual for us, too. Surprisingly, we'll warm up a bit when the December snows come along. These clear skies make for some bloody cold nights.
I snagged three bare root Sarrs from CC this year, they're potted up and snoozing. Can't wait to see what they are.
By Sundews69
I brought my plants outside for a few days because it was 75F+ (record high temps). Four days later it was 20-25F and we got two inches of snow. Pretty much hasn't stopped snowing in three days. Plants are fine, thankfully. I brought them only a few hours after I realized it started snowing and my plants were still outside.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
@Gary , I've got three "bargain" sarrs I bought from CC a month or two ago. I've got them *hopefully* sleeping, though one did suddenly send up a tall leaf (which I whacked off). I got the infamous "hitchhiker" and have it planted in a cup with one of the larger ones. Being a smaller plant I think that whatever it turns out to be I'll just call it "Mickey Rooney". :mrgreen: These will be my largest sarrs I own.

Sundews69, I'm glad your plants are ok. I've got everything inside now, except for my sphagnum moss. I did brought the trays of moss inside the garage where I had a heat lamp turned on for other things. It was still cold in there (opened-ended garage) but the moss looked great. I put the trays back out yesterday and they had a chilling, but non-freezing night outside. I haven't checked them this morning yet....I *think* it was non-freezing. :lol:
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Sounds like a good plan! We're now on day four of pretty much constant snow. I can't even enjoy it! (I mean, FL is probably better still but whatever)
By Intheswamp
Three days of snow down here would be catastrophic!!! An inch of snow his highly talked about here, six inches and most places are letting employees and students go home early or not show up at all. A foot...this place is shut down. I think the deepest I've ever seen snow down here has been around 20"...and that was *years* ago...and I care nothing about seeing it again, even an inch. ;) But, the kids like it (the young ones and some of the old ones) and I can't control the weather so I'll take what comes. :mrgreen: Hang it there...spring is just around the corner...somewhere...maybe...possibly...well, it'll get here sooner or later. ;)
Attachments:
spring-around-corner.jpg
spring-around-corner.jpg (235.38 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Yeah, we've been having some crazy winters over the last few years. We got over 2 1/2 ft last year. Super icy too.
Intheswamp liked this
By Gary
Intheswamp wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:15 pm @Gary , I've got three "bargain" sarrs I bought from CC a month or two ago. I've got them *hopefully* sleeping, though one did suddenly send up a tall leaf (which I whacked off). I got the infamous "hitchhiker" and have it planted in a cup with one of the larger ones. Being a smaller plant I think that whatever it turns out to be I'll just call it "Mickey Rooney". :mrgreen: These will be my largest sarrs I own.
I picked up two big Sarrs from CC this year, too. There was a small division in the bag, but it didn't have any roots on it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!