FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
I spotted one of my cape sundews growing a flower stalk. But I think it is a stress flower because the plant probably got sunburned. Should I let it flower? Will it make seeds that can germinate? Because I want seeds. And how long do the seeds take to germinate? How much time it takes for the seedlings to reach adulthood? Also winter is coming but I don’t think this winter will be cold because know my temperatures are above 23°C. But even if it gets cold should I germinate the seeds inside my house on a windowsill? It gets plenty of direct sunlight in winter.
By Barlapipas 6
Attachments:
The plant
The plant
F406D1C9-0E1F-4041-8F00-2F2E4358B40A.jpeg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 1724 times
By Gary
Your plant looks pretty healthy, I'd let it go ahead. If it behaves anything like my Capes it'll get pretty shabby looking during flowering.
I let my stalks open all the flowers, and let it start to dry a bit before cutting it off. Store it in a paper envelope until it's completely dry.
There are lots of articles online about germinating the seeds, I won't duplicate them here. My best advice is if you don't see any activity in the first month or so, don't give up. I was about to toss out the pot at 2 months when a closer look revealed some tiny green spots in the peat moss. Now I have several thriving baby sundews.
Intheswamp liked this
By PunkySkunk93
If it’s not too late, I’d cut it off, unless you’re ready for a wave of capensis to infest everything around it like herpes. Drosera (notoriously the cape sundew) spread their seed like Nick Cannon. It’s not uncommon to have a few drosera hitchhikers when you buy CP’s from places like California Carnivores, because of how abundantly they spread, as well as how they all tend to flower around the same time.

As you can imagine, the plant spends a lot of energy producing a flower stalk. Energy that could be better spent on producing more leaves. Ultimately the choice is yours, but unless you plan on cultivating, most other growers would recommend you cut it off. 👍
By Tarzanus
I usually leave flowers, except during the winter or with small seedlings that decide to put out flowers.
If it has at least some available insects, it will be fine. D. capensis is not very problematic in that aspect. Just to be safe, you can cut it off at the base and possibly root a few more plantlets from it.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!