FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
There used to be an old watershed pond on the north side of our property...manmade (grandfather had the dam built probably around 1955 or so). It has been twenty-five years since I've been back there and decided to walk there yesterday. One thing I found out is that I'm not 12 years old anymore!!!! The walk back uphill was something else!!! :shock: :lol:

Anyhow, just as I figured there wasn't much there. The old steel standpipe had rusted off and it was two mud holes. The deer were having a blast there, though, churning up the edge of the mudholes watering there. As I mentioned, it was a watershed pond...only getting its water from rain passing through a pine forest and traveling through two small "valleys" to it. I thought...there might be something interesting growing there. ;) Well, I didn't see any sundews or anything but I did come upon these patches of mosses. I don't *think* it is sphagnum, but at the time I wasn't looking very close as I was trying to remember the number for 911 in case I needed them to come drag me out from down there. :lol:

What type moss do ya'll say this is? Sheet? Star? ???

I *might* venture back down there again...the old road has completely overgrown and it *sure* seems a lot further than it use to be, too!!! :? :mrgreen:
Attachments:
IMG_6572 (Custom).JPG
IMG_6572 (Custom).JPG (545.36 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
IMG_6571 (Custom).JPG
IMG_6571 (Custom).JPG (842.43 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
IMG_6569 (Custom).JPG
IMG_6569 (Custom).JPG (584.42 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
Vanval1230 liked this
By Intheswamp
Any ideas?
By Intheswamp
Thanks Panman. I’m letting it lay where it grows. The old pond is dried to two small holes and the ends of its horseshoe shape are damp and marshy. I was hoping the moss might indicate an area of possible banked seeds from before the pond was built. It was not as spongy as a stand of sphagnum is.
By Kumulugma
It could be bad advice, but you can use app or special website to identify this species.
Something like PlantNet etc.
Some time ago, I didn't know something like that exist.
I mean, plant checker ;)
By Intheswamp
I wonder if it would be so similar to others species that it would be hard to tell exactly which one it was. The next time I'm down there I'll try it out. Thanks for the idea, not a bad one at all! ;)
Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!