FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Real Hypatia
It looks like I overwatered it but now the root is gone and I don’t know what I should do:
1- leave it like and no water?
2- put the plant on a dry towel?
3- dark light spot?
Please help me i am loosing my plant
Ps: also this stays in our kitchen and usually protects the other plants from fungus gnats that comes with vegetables sometimes. But recently I have seen some those little flies around the roots
Attachments:
F1B675D4-0766-4CB8-B8BA-C6D3F9328131.jpeg
F1B675D4-0766-4CB8-B8BA-C6D3F9328131.jpeg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 3911 times
By Sundews69
Pinguicula are supposed to have very little roots but that looks too little. If there is any white rhizome part at the bottom of any of the leaves, pluck the leaves (only take a few. Make sure the plant stays intact) from the plant and make sure it has the white part. Stick the white part in some soil and wait. I think the problem is that your medium is wayyyy to organic. There is no drainage whatsoever and pings absolutely need it. I don't really like this mix I'm using, but mine is literally just sand and perlite. You would need to add a lot of sand and perlite/vermiculite to help it. I would just fix your medium and then pot them up and hope they survive.
By Bug_cemetery
Yep it looks pretty wet and dense. How long have you had it in that pot? If it’s been a couple years it might have started out at a good consistency but just degraded over time. Does it smell bad? Like sewer? If it does, it’s time to replace it completely. If it just smells organic, in needs something to make it less dense. Perlite is an inexpensive and relatively easy to find option. Look for an organic one because they are less likely to have fertilizer. Sta-green and Vigrow are common brands at box stores in the US that work well. Adding 50% perlite to your mix would not be too much. If you have vermiculite, coarse sand, pumice, or other additives on hand you can use those instead or in addition.
Since you have two plants there, consider separating them into two pots and taking a few leaf pullings as insurance. It looks like you can take 3-4 bottom leaves from each one without slowing the plants down at all.
One last note- I find that whenever I repot the oldest leaves usually die back within a few days to a week. That’s not a problem as long as there are healthy new ones growing. If I’m switching to a drier substrate the new leaves are also likely to be the smaller winter leaves regardless of the season.
Lain, Real Hypatia liked this
By Real Hypatia
Omg I haven’t expected a reply this soon. Thanks a lot. I bought the plant in that pot and it is like a year. I think I overwatered it. It doesn’t smell bad at all but lost all the root! It actually has three plants but neither of them have roots. I wanted to check the root (before my earlier message) I touched the plant and it was in my hand. Can this flower grow roots like succulents? Or can leaves grow roots?
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 3855 times
By Real Hypatia
Thanks for the help. I tried to find it but no luck on the plant’s type. I bought it in the Netherlands from a big store. The soil is the original one and we have shitty cloudy weather outside and plant was in the middle of the room. So not under direct light.
By Nepenthes0260
Like others have said, the small roots don't particularly look to be an issue but the media is way too peaty for a "normal" Mexican Pinguicula. I'd recommend mixing it with some sand, perlite, pumice, or perhaps vermiculite for aeration. From the photos you provided it looks like it might be Px 'Aphrodite' or a similar short leaf x long leaf Mexican ping cross.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!