FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
I want to purchase a S.flava from a nursery called Valentine. But almost every time when I purchased from them they give a completely different Sarracenia. I just want a tall sarracenia so it doesn’t matter if it is a flava or something else as long as it is a tall one. Also every sarracenia I got was super light starved deep green and small. Also they are in a tiny pot so I have to transplant it. Also if I buy it it will come in propably 2 weeks. The good thing is that they recover fast. But the problem is that this time I am thinking of buying it now. Should I buy it now and skip dormancy, or put it outside so it will go dormant, or should I wait and buy it in spring?
Attachments:
This is exactly the same pot
This is exactly the same pot
7B3F3A48-3B51-4392-8F84-BB972E0B1C4A.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 1910 times
By Intheswamp
Uh, if I was to order something from a company and they shipped something different from what I ordered...and this happened each time I ordered, I would not be buying/ordering from them anymore. It sounds like you're just in for more dissatisfaction. :?:

As for the pot, do they tell you that the plant will come in a 2" pot?
By Sundews69
Yeah, try to find somewhere else to order from. If you live in a foreign country (I think it was you who said they live in Greece?) and it's the only place to order from, try contacting them and ask for the correct plant. If they are really small, skipping one year of dormancy is probably ok, but it definitely isn't to late to have them enter dormancy. I'm really struggling to get my plant to go dormant this year ( they're very stubborn for some reason), but I'm still trying because it's not too late.
By ChefDean
If the only reliability they have is not sending what was ordered, and very poor quality product to boot, I would not give them any more of my money. Find a new source for live plants, and/or find a source for seeds and grow your own.
By Barlapipas 6
Yes I a m the Greek guy. Unfortunately there are very few nurseries with some carnivorous plants and most of them are bought and for some reason they don’t seem to bring new ones. All the sarracenias I could find from all the nurseries were the following: Valentine (S.flava, S.purpurea, S.purpurea heterophylla, S.eva, S.farhamnei). Flowerstore (S.purpurea, S.venosa, S.barba). Greenleaf garden center (S.scarlett belle) but they don’t have it anymore. Airplants (S.oreophylla) but the picture is from a S.purpurea. There is another nursery that I don’t remember the name which has just “Sarracenia” and shows a S.scarlett belle. Now for seeds only Valentine and Flowerstore have some. Valentine has S.leuchophylla, S.oreophylla, S.purpurea and flava mix. Flowerstore has only S.purpurea seeds. I don’t trust valentine especially for seeds because it sells seeds from VFT cultivars and names them as the cultivars. The seeds are probably not from carnivorous plants.
By Barlapipas 6
The other option I have is to wait for flower festivals to come in April and try to find some sarracenias. I only have gone to a specific place and most times they sell typical flytraps but I haven’t seen any other type of carnivorous plant there so I will go to other places too this time.
By Intheswamp
I don't know what your time horizons are, @Barlapipas 6 , but in another month you can request some sarracenia seeds from the Seed Bank. You would be looking at probably a three to four year growing period before first bloom.

Check this old, 2011 thread out on CPUK for some European carnivorous plant sources...there should be at least a few of these sellers still in business... https://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.p ... providers/
Sundews69 liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!