FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
-Stanley- wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:13 am This is how my DC XL looked
IMG_2906.JPG
Is that from spider mites?
Imma gonna say that I'm 98.6439% sure that's spider mites.
By -Stanley-
Carnies wrote:Also, another sign are smaller deformed traps/petioles.
I agree, because the plant was recovering and its first whole trap was deformed.
By Minora
Because the miticide on the website will probably take a few days to arrive, my mom and I are going to home depot to get BioAdvanced Insect Disease and Mite control which I found on a thread is safe for VFT. My plant needs desperate action as some of the traps have begun to look very brown and unhealthy. Does anyone know how I use this on my plants? I also saw I should use a humidifier? However, my plant has already begun it's dormancy and I don't want to overwater it. Advice? I'll keep you all posted on the recovery (hopefully).
By Minora
Also, the spiders on my plant appear white. They are very small but one was unusually large, and my VFT ate it. It says spider mites, which I am sure I have, appear red, but the spiders I have seen on my plant look white and move quickly. I couldn't get any pictures, but I also did notice one of my traps ate something that looks suspiciously like a fungus gnat. I don't know. I get the suspicion I may have multiple infestations. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but as I mentioned before it's my first time owning a venus fly trap and I really want to be kind to it. I had no issues until just now!!
By ChefDean
Bioadvanced 3 in 1 is a great product for just about everything except spider mites. You can still apply it as a light spray twice a week until the stronger miticide arrives.
VFT's don't need high humidity, a humidifier will be pointless.
Spiders are not spider mites. Small spiders may eat some spider mites, but they (spiders) will be killed by the Bioadvanced.
Fungus gnats are harmless to plants that are beyond the seedling stage
Minora liked this
By Minora
I meant keeping my flytrap in high humidity because I heard that spider mites have a hard time dealing with humid conditions and prefer drier environments. In your experience, how long did the avid miticide take to arrive after your purchase from the store?
By ChefDean
Spider mites prefer lower humidity, but they can still survive and thrive in 90%+ humidity, so raising your humidity will maybe slow them down a bit, not stop them.
It took about a week for the miticide to get to me after I ordered it. Where Matt is building his greenhouse (finally!) it might take a few days before it ships out.
Minora liked this
By Minora
Thank you so so much for the time frame!! And for all the help you have given. My mom has neem oil. Is that safe to use on VFT and additionally will it kill the spider mites?
By jetfire245
Minora wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:17 pm Because the miticide on the website will probably take a few days to arrive, my mom and I are going to home depot to get BioAdvanced Insect Disease and Mite control which I found on a thread is safe for VFT. My plant needs desperate action as some of the traps have begun to look very brown and unhealthy. Does anyone know how I use this on my plants? I also saw I should use a humidifier? However, my plant has already begun it's dormancy and I don't want to overwater it. Advice? I'll keep you all posted on the recovery (hopefully).
Remember to spray down the media itself as well. The bioadvanced is a great way to control a variety of pests. And while it can treat spider mites, they're just such a nuisance and good at reproducing.

I'd definitely recommend the avid available on flytrapcare.com or minx 2 available on ebay. Both use abamectin which is formulated as a miticide.
By -Stanley-
Great, the red dots are spreading all over my plants. I'm going to treat them with the 3 in 1 bio thingy from home depo. In the mean time is there anything the can stop them from spreading as fast?
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!