FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
We just had a tornado come threw my area. It was actually kinda fun. Had to bring allll the pets to the basement. None of the plants were hurt; it just barely missed us, thankfully. Did anyone from WI have any damage?
Last edited by Sundews69 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Intheswamp
Double post
Last edited by Intheswamp on Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Intheswamp
Uh, just thought I'd mention it...tornadoes aren't fun. Interesting, but not fun. ;) I'm glad ya'll are ok!!!! Hopefully no one else or their property was harmed.
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Yes, interesting, but not fun.

(they're sometimes fun when nothing bad happens)
Intheswamp liked this
By TrapsAndDews
I've always wanted to see a tornado. Unfortunately (or should I say fortunately), our area very rarely gets them because of the conditions here.
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Yeah, I didn't actually see it but I heard it was very close. We don't get tornadoes often either. The last one we got had been absolutely tiny and it was almost three years ago. Before that, it was so long I don't remember.
By optique
In 2019 one passed with in 300 feet of me in my house. I heard it and knew what it was, but it was gone before i could even take shelter. My home was fine but the house across the street took some damage from a tree.

Sundews69 liked this
By Intheswamp
I like storms. My BIL and I use to do what we call "storm camping"...we'd hear that a good line of thunderstorms were coming through and we'd head to woods to ride it out. We had a blast, hunkered down in the tent or in our raingear watching the swamp start flooding and the critters moving. BUT, we wanted nothing to do with tornadoes, they are killers. We've lost our share of folks here in Alabama to tornadoes and until billions of dollars worth of damage through the years. Around here you can't see them coming as you can out on the plains where you can see them miles away. Due to the clouds, rain, and terrain they can be on you before you realize it. I've never see one, but have had them come as close to roughly 200 yards from me...and left lots of pine trees mangled. We used to have a "tornado alley" a mile or so to the NW of us...that path hasn't seen a tornado in years...and I hope it stays that way. Tornadoes are extremely violent, destructive storms. Give me a nice thunderstorm or a tropical depression moving through...they're nice. I like lightning storms, too. But, when the ice starts falling from the sky and it's warm outside you'd better be hunkered down safe somewhere. I haven't worked on it much in the last year or two, but you can see some of my weather-related interest here (check the sidebar menu out for some weather photos): www.beeweather.com
Sundews69 liked this
By Intheswamp
optique wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:49 pm In 2019 one passed with in 300 feet of me in my house. I heard it and knew what it was, but it was gone before i could even take shelter. My home was fine but the house across the street took some damage from a tree.

That's a familiar sight, and a sad one. Lots of times the house is condemned when it has it's back broken during one of these storms. I hope the occupants were ok.

This is a shot of my little tire shop back in 2017 after a straight line wind delivered a roof to me from a building across the street from me.

Veterans Memorial Park coming into town (same storm).
By ChefDean
I've been too close to two tornadoes, and that's two too many. But when my wife and I were away for an anniversary weekend, an EF4 rolled through about 20 miles north of the house, and the kids were there without me.
We pulled the trigger and had a storm shelter rated for an EF5 installed in the garage, now I know they'll be safe.
Sundews69, Intheswamp liked this
By Sundews69
The only good thing about the tornado today

Tornado=rain water
rain water=happy plants
By Intheswamp
I haven't heard of any tornadoes but thankfully we got some rain today, too!!! :D
Sundews69 liked this
By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:45 pm I've been too close to two tornadoes, and that's two too many. But when my wife and I were away for an anniversary weekend, an EF4 rolled through about 20 miles north of the house, and the kids were there without me.
We pulled the trigger and had a storm shelter rated fir an EF5 installed in the garage, now I know they'll be safe.
Is the shelter one of the aboveground, overgrown outhouse-looking ones? I recall a story about a guy in Texas who lived in a residential neighborhood. He had been working by hand to dig a storm pit below the foundation...inside the house perimeter. He had it basically dug, but really wasn't finished when a tornado hit while is family was at home but he was a way. He made it to his house to find basically a bare slab. Suddenly the trapdoor to his little pit opened and there his family was...all safe and sound. This must of been 30-40 years ago when I heard that story...I have no idea of the truthfulness of it but it sure is a good story.

Your investment will probably never give you a return other than in peace of mind...but, if it does pay off with it's intended use, WOW!!!...what a payoff that will be!!!!! Good going!!!!!!
By ChefDean
I was originally looking at an in ground, they can install them under an existing slab now. But, if the door gets blocked and you can't get out, they can fill with water, so I chose the 1/4 inch thick, reinforced steel.
You're correct that I'll likely not see a ROI, but it also depends on how much value the buyer feels it's worth.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!