FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
My Purple milkweed (Asclepias purpurascens) is being very productive, and I have a ton of seeds. If anyone would like some, just message me for an address and send me a SASE.
Purple milkweed isn't rare or endangered, but it is kind of uncommon in places, especially in northern states. The seeds need cold stratification, and the plants don't do much their first year. They will bloom and produce seed their second year. Monarch caterpillars will eat it, but it's usually not their first choice.
Free, just send a SASE.
Camden, Sundews69, Shadowtski and 1 others liked this
By Sundews69
Would they survive growing outside year round in southern WI? We already have lots of milkweed, but some purple ones could be cool. Not sure if my mom would really approve though.
By schmeg
This species is considered endangered here in Wisconsin. I'm pretty confident that my folks will want some seed for our federally protected prairie, but I'll check with them before sending you a SASE.

Their prairie is adjacent to our bog that grows native pitcher plants, sundews, and bladderwort. It's CP heaven there. Plus mudpuppies!
Sundews69 liked this
By schmeg
Sundews69 wrote:Would they survive growing outside year round in southern WI?
Yes, although not all native milkweeds grow as easily as Common or Butterfly Milkweed.
Sundews69 liked this
By ChefDean
Sundews69 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:39 am Would they survive growing outside year round in southern WI? We already have lots of milkweed, but some purple ones could be cool. Not sure if my mom would really approve though.
Yes, it will survive in Wisconsin. That's actually one state that it is considered endangered in at the state level.
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
schmeg wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:42 am This species is considered endangered here in Wisconsin. I'm pretty confident that my folks will want some seed for our federally protected prairie, but I'll check with them before sending you a SASE.

Their prairie is adjacent to our bog that grows native pitcher plants, sundews, and bladderwort. It's CP heaven there. Plus mudpuppies!
Ooo, nice! My nearest bog is half and hour away. How far north are you? Good to know about that milkweed stuff. Thanks!
By Sundews69
ChefDean wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:48 am
Sundews69 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:39 am Would they survive growing outside year round in southern WI? We already have lots of milkweed, but some purple ones could be cool. Not sure if my mom would really approve though.
Yes, it will survive in Wisconsin. That's actually one state that it is considered endangered in at the state level.
Ok, I'll ask my mom in the morning if that could work! Would I just put the plants around my yard where they won't take over or should I put them back by our pond near the cattails?
By ChefDean
You'd probably have to experiment. Some milkweed like wetter conditions, others not so much. I have mine in my butterfly garden and they only get water when it rains unless it's been a couple weeks without rain. But I also have a lot of organic matter and mulch to retain moisture too.
Sundews69 liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
Hey Chef, I’d love some of the milkweed seeds. I have some freshly harvested A. viridis and A. longifolia seeds if you’d like to try your hand at those. Sadly I didn’t get any seeds from my A. rubra this year but here’s a few pictures of the blooms to enjoy.
Attachments:
3519634E-D431-46A8-B027-E966B41FC153.jpeg
3519634E-D431-46A8-B027-E966B41FC153.jpeg (708.81 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
39650A70-2CEC-46C7-8B1C-4E29CF12AF67.jpeg
39650A70-2CEC-46C7-8B1C-4E29CF12AF67.jpeg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 2736 times
schmeg liked this
By ChefDean
I'll send you some with the burmannii and sessilifolia seeds.
I actually just received some A. viridis last week, made a trade for some of the purpurascens seeds, but I would love some A. longifolia seeds.
I'm expanding my butterfly garden (well, my wife is having me expand her butterfly garden) next spring, so I'll need something to fill in the new areas. They'll look good next to my tuberosa and incarnata. Thank you.
I'll include a SASE for some longifolia with the seeds I'm sending you.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Awesome. Thank you.
That’s what we are doing as well, making a big monarch/queen garden. Trying to get our Monarch Waystation certification for next year.
By chrisaggie
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Hey Chef, I’d love some of the milkweed seeds. I have some freshly harvested A. viridis and A. longifolia seeds if you’d like to try your hand at those. Sadly I didn’t get any seeds from my A. rubra this year but here’s a few pictures of the blooms to enjoy.
Please shoot me a pm if you ever get rubra seeds. I have been trying to find some for a couple years now!
By Bill Phoenix
ChefDean wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:17 am My Purple milkweed (Asclepias purpurascens) is being very productive, and I have a ton of seeds. If anyone would like some, just message me for an address and send me a SASE.
Purple milkweed isn't rare or endangered, but it is kind of uncommon in places, especially in northern states. The seeds need cold stratification, and the plants don't do much their first year. They will bloom and produce seed their second year. Monarch caterpillars will eat it, but it's usually not their first choice.
Free, just send a SASE.
if you have any more, would you be interested in a trade for some asclepias perennis, also a rarer milkweed species.
if fertilized, they should be able to produce seeds in the first year
By ChefDean
I still have quite a few. PM me an address and I'll send you a bunch. How much would you like?
My address will be on the envelope to send some perennis back. I would only want a couple dozen at most myself.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!