FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Ok, we're going into fall>winter. Got it. I'm a bit slow, but really...I get that.

What I'm not so sure about is starting seeds this time of the year. The temperature will be dropping, the plants will go dormant, the life-stirring warmth of spring and summer will be gone. Seed pods will have long ago ripened and mostly dispersed their treasures. Soon, most everything will be in the "I'm freezing my butt off" zone for a while. Some plants require the dormancy to grow healthy the next season, some seeds need the cold temperatures to germinate in warm conditions that will come in the spring. Seeds germinate in the warmth of the spring warmth, sleeping plants awaken and sprout forth new growth. And, the cycle of life continues (or death if you happen to be a wandering bug). And, all is well (unless you're the bug :mrgreen: ).

So, it's October, nights are cooling down...days, too, even here in south Alabama. Is it normal to be starting seeds inside and growing CP seedlings during the winter? Seedlings started now should have a headstart on spring-started seedlings...shouldn't they? Does starting seedlings at this time of the year throw off their biological clocks? Why do the fudge brownies at Walmart cost so much? I guess, for me in my first year of messing with CPs, it just seems a bit odd to be starting seedlings this time of the year.

Inquiring minds want to know...the winning Powerball numbers for tonight. :mrgreen:
By Camden
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:53 pm So, it's October, nights are cooling down...days, too, even here in south Alabama. Is it normal to be starting seeds inside and growing CP seedlings during the winter? Seedlings started now should have a headstart on spring-started seedlings...shouldn't they? Does starting seedlings at this time of the year throw off their biological clocks? Why do the fudge brownies at Walmart cost so much? I guess, for me in my first year of messing with CPs, it just seems a bit odd to be starting seedlings this time of the year.

Inquiring minds want to know...the winning Powerball numbers for tonight. :mrgreen:
Now I can’t speak for Powerball but I do know that germinating CP’s inside, under growlights, isn’t not a thing. I in fact have some S. Flava seeds (hopefully) soon to be germinating. I know that a lot of other growers skip their temprates first 1-2 years, including myself.

As for the fudge brownies, Image
Intheswamp liked this
By schmeg
VFT seeds can be started now in good growing conditions. These do not need a cold period to germinate. I don't have experience with other species.

Autumn VFT seedlings will need a little extra warmth to germinate during a cool/cold season. I have a pot getting cozy on the ancient always-warm-never-hot radiator at my office.

Air circulation on/over the potting medium is also important, to avoid mold and algae. It's easy to forget that air movement is practically nothing indoors, compared to the big wide world. It's worth sterilizing potting medium before using, using bottled distilled water or sterilized rainwater to reduce new mold spores being deposited, etc.

To keep the top layer of the medium damp, look for an aerosolizing spray bottle. These are often sold as hair-care items. They make a fine mist, instead of a sharp spray, which can help baby plants stay in place without disruption.

Some seeds take a long time to sprout, and a long time to develop growth. VFTs are like this. Many sundews grow much faster. It takes a huge amount of patience to raise baby flytraps. They are so stinking cute, though!
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Camden M wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:22 pm ...
Now I can’t speak for Powerball but I do know that germinating CP’s inside, under growlights, isn’t not a thing. I in fact have some S. Flava seeds (hopefully) soon to be germinating. I know that a lot of other growers skip their temprates first 1-2 years, including myself.

As for the fudge brownies, Image
Are we talking about "dormancy" where "temprates" is typed? I've heard the first year or two the plants can do ok without dormancy. Hmmm...

I agree...those fudge brownies are terrible...horrible...they should be outlawed. Something's at Walmart are more, shall we say..."cardboardy" or "quick mix" tasting. Those fudge brownies must have some type of heavy drug in them 'cause it's really, really hard to walk by them and not grab a pack. Even the aliens know it!!! :lol:
Camden liked this
By Intheswamp
stickgirl wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:08 am Life is short, give it a try!
Yep...I agree wholeheartedly with the first part of your sentence and plan on doing the second part! Looks like I'm gonna have to crank up my redneck vegetable seed starting setup! :D
By Intheswamp
schmeg wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:16 pm VFT seeds can be started now in good growing conditions. These do not need a cold period to germinate. I don't have experience with other species.

Autumn VFT seedlings will need a little extra warmth to germinate during a cool/cold season. I have a pot getting cozy on the ancient always-warm-never-hot radiator at my office.

Air circulation on/over the potting medium is also important, to avoid mold and algae. It's easy to forget that air movement is practically nothing indoors, compared to the big wide world. It's worth sterilizing potting medium before using, using bottled distilled water or sterilized rainwater to reduce new mold spores being deposited, etc.

To keep the top layer of the medium damp, look for an aerosolizing spray bottle. These are often sold as hair-care items. They make a fine mist, instead of a sharp spray, which can help baby plants stay in place without disruption.

Some seeds take a long time to sprout, and a long time to develop growth. VFTs are like this. Many sundews grow much faster. It takes a huge amount of patience to raise baby flytraps. They are so stinking cute, though!
I need to revisit which seeds need stratification. I know the VFT seeds don't need it. I'm mostly interested in southern filiformis varieties...Florida, Florida Red/Red-white flower, Tracyi, etc, and it appears that they do not require stratification though they may benefit from it. I've got some homework to do. ;) There's a refrigerator at the old trailer (where the veggie seed starting setup is located) that would be good to plug in and use for stratifying seeds that I've already planted in pots.

I agree with the air movement being very important. I've got a small six-inch fan that I run constantly over my veggie seedlings...keeps down mold and mildew, makes stems stronger, and (in the case of veggies) blows tiny flies toward the opposite end of the shelf where a sticky trap is located. A small fan works wonders! ;)

Sterilizing the peat moss is a toss-up with me...I've baked it in a microwave and used it without sterilizing it. I've only been doing this a short time...since mid-summer(?)...but the biggest problem I had with mold or mildew was where I had microwaved the peat moss. Odd, but that's what happened. Btw...the old trailer has a microwave, too,...my wife would have had my head if I'd heated the peat moss in our house!!! :shock:

Hopefully I'll get some time to clean up the seed starting room some and get some seeds cooking before long! :D
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!