FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tryingmybest
Hi all! I’ve had this VFT for 1.5 years now and noticed that the traps and leaves on one of the plants are turning black before the traps can fully develop. The blackening seems to start from the tip of the trap.

What’s also confusing me is that the other plants which are planted in the same pot seem to be doing fine.

What can I do to help this situation? For context I’m located in QLD AUS and it’s spring time here.
Attachments:
DE672FE7-CF5B-4552-B95A-3F3B39C8FCB1.jpeg
DE672FE7-CF5B-4552-B95A-3F3B39C8FCB1.jpeg (4.55 MiB) Viewed 2440 times
By tryingmybest
The new growth shown in that photo is now also turning black :(

Could spider mites be the cause of this? I picked up a VFT that wasn’t doing well from a friend which I placed next to my own VFT, and now I’m starting to see what looks like spider mites on the friend’s plant
By plantnerdjules
You might find some useful info in this post post418122.html#p418122 about spider mites.

If you give details of your growing conditions - media, watering regime, temperature range, sunlight, etc - there's more chance that knowledgeable people on the forum could try to help.
By plantnerdjules
Another question - did your VFTs ever go dormant? Or is it too warm for natural dormancy in your area - what part of Qld?

Idk but possibly turning black might be due to lack of dormancy?
By tryingmybest
Thanks plantnerdjules! I hadn't thought about the lack of dormancy issue. Winter temperatures in Brisbane Qld typically range from 10 - 20 degrees celsius so it is on the warmer side. I do notice a very obvious slowing in growth during winter although I'm not sure if that counts as dormancy...

I have a rose spray insecticide lying around (contains tau-fluvalinate) so have used this on my adopted VFT - hopefully that will help.

Growing conditions are as follows -
Media: peat moss & perlite
Watering regime: rain water using tray method
Temperature range (celsius): 10 - 20 degrees during winter, 20 - 30+ degrees during summer
Sunlight: kept on the patio with ~3.5 hours of direct sunlight each day (less in winter)
By ChefDean
I don't see obvious signs of a pest, especially spider mites, so I wouldn't apply unnecessary chemicals. Also, if it were a pest, all of them in that pot would likely be showing the same signs. Where only one plant is affected, look at that one plant.
From what I can see, that plant in question is too deep into the media. Look how its leaves at the growth point are more vertical, while the other plants leaves in that pot are more horizontal. It may have been planted too deep, or it settled deeper, but it needs to be raised. You might be able to wiggle that plant up a bit without digging it up, just be gentle.
That's an easy place to start, then monitor it for a while to see if the new growth continues to blacken, or if it develops normally.
It may continue to decline, there are times where the plant itself is just weaker. It happens, and there's not much you can do about it. Good luck.
By jetfire245
plantnerdjules wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:09 am Another question - did your VFTs ever go dormant? Or is it too warm for natural dormancy in your area - what part of Qld?

It's fairly understood that temperatures aren't the only thing required for dormancy. I'm in Florida which is basically tropical year round. One of my plants has already gone into dormancy by itself.

These things are able to measure day length to enter dormancy as well. Temperature isn't the only factor. These plants are smart.
schmeg liked this
By VF TrapperKeeper
jetfire245 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:00 pm
plantnerdjules wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:09 am Another question - did your VFTs ever go dormant? Or is it too warm for natural dormancy in your area - what part of Qld?

It's fairly understood that temperatures aren't the only thing required for dormancy. I'm in Florida which is basically tropical year round. One of my plants has already gone into dormancy by itself.

These things are able to measure day length to enter dormancy as well. Temperature isn't the only factor. These plants are smart.
Well said. I am in the panhandle and have noticed the same with mine. These plants are very smart like you said and adapt well. They were smart enough after all to evolve into being carnivorous in the first place.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!