FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Greenthumbs Garden
Nice, Let it flower bro! is it possible to save pollen and freeze it for future use if flowers don't sync? I'd love to grow Binata.
Sundew grower liked this
By Sundew grower
I think I will let it grow a little, then cut it off and put it in water. Just because I think there is a better chance at reproduction since they won't sync. If it looks like they will sync though, I will let it flower.
By Sundew grower
murrkywaters wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:20 pm I usually get a ton of strikes from leaf pullings in live sphagnum fwiw

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
So for me, would you recommend putting it in peat moss or in some distilled water?
By murrkywaters
I have had little luck with peat you might try lfsm in water, or just water. Experimentation is part of the fun!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

tommyr, Sundew grower liked this
By CPhunter101
I dip my drosera cuttings in diluted Superthrive (1 drop per cup) before placing them inside a petri dish with distilled water.
This upped my chances of getting strikes by 300%. I tested without Superthrive, the results were much worse.
This may or may not work for some people, but its just some advice when it comes to cloning/propagation.
Sundew grower liked this
By Sundew grower
CPhunter101 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:30 pm I dip my drosera cuttings in diluted Superthrive (1 drop per cup) before placing them inside a petri dish with distilled water.
This upped my chances of getting strikes by 300%. I tested without Superthrive, the results were much worse.
This may or may not work for some people, but its just some advice when it comes to cloning/propagation.
Do you think that instead of superthrive I could use a few drops of that miracle grow fertilizer in water?
By CPhunter101
Sundew grower wrote:Do you think that instead of superthrive I could use a few drops of that miracle grow fertilizer in water?
A rule of thumb when handling CPs: Never ever touch miracle grow.
The "chemicals" that CP growers use (Maxsea, superthrive, etc) don't usually don't contain harmful nutrients.
If you would like to add some rooting hormone to your cuttings, use either Vitamin B1 (the cheaper choice that I've never used) or (preferably) Superthrive.
Superthrive does seem like a lose lose (you spend more for less) but the difference is that it's somewhat more reliable when it comes to affecting cuttings.
I hope this helps you with your drosera cuttings experiment.
Sundew grower liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!