FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Being subtropical to tropical, capillaris does not need stratification, nor does it require a dormancy. It does, however, need slightly warmer temperatures to have a good germination rate. From experience, I would suggest you shoot for about 80°F for germination.
In your location, you might get away with putting it in an outdoor bog as long as it has time to mature before winter, and you take measures to protect the adult plants from the occasional cold spells you get.
By ChefDean
Order received.
Your order number is 1117.
I'll PM you shortly with a mailing address for your SASE.
Thank you for your order.

Reminder to all:
Please remember to write your Forum username and order number somewhere on the envelope or in a note.
I don't have access to a cross reference of real-world names linked to usernames.
Remembering these things helps me fill orders quicker.
Thank you.

Happy growing,
Chef
By chrisaggie
ChefDean wrote:Being subtropical to tropical, capillaris does not need stratification, nor does it require a dormancy. It does, however, need slightly warmer temperatures to have a good germination rate. From experience, I would suggest you shoot for about 80°F for germination.
In your location, you might get away with putting it in an outdoor bog as long as it has time to mature before winter, and you take measures to protect the adult plants from the occasional cold spells you get.
Thank you for the advice. Capillaris grows wild around here and well north of me, so I believe it will be just fine outside in the bog. I'll post update in my bog thread as I learn what works and what doesn't.
By Sundews69
chrisaggie wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:55 pm
ChefDean wrote:Being subtropical to tropical, capillaris does not need stratification, nor does it require a dormancy. It does, however, need slightly warmer temperatures to have a good germination rate. From experience, I would suggest you shoot for about 80°F for germination.
Thank you for the advice. Capillaris grows wild around here and well north of me, so I believe it will be just fine outside in the bog. I'll post update in my bog thread as I learn what works and what doesn't.
I think this particular form of capillaris that you requested is from Cuba or South America, making it sub-tropical or tropical. There are forms near you that would be considered temperate or warm temperate, but these aren't, I believe.
By Sundews69
I believe it has been found in multiple locations, some temperate, some sub-tropical, and some tropical. I suppose it really could be either, like I said in my last post. You could ask the donor if it's temperate or tropical. I would guess warm temperate to sub-tropical so it would probably do fine in your bog as long as you keep it a bit warmer. Just trying to help.
chrisaggie liked this
By ChefDean
chrisaggie wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:08 pm @Sundews69, I believe the long arm originated in Tate's Hell State Forest, Florida, no?
This long arm variety come to us from around São Paolo, Brazil.
chrisaggie liked this
By ChefDean
SASE received.
Order is fulfilled.
Return envelope going out in tomorrow's mail.

Happy growing,
Chef
chrisaggie liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!