FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Norcrossnotgeorgia
Hey there!
Been looking over this forum so much it’s starting to feel weird that I haven’t made an account. You don’t know me, but I thank you many times over for the excellent advice and mental popcorn. I have referenced this forum so many times, and it has saved me a great deal of heartache/ provided a lot of fun research.
Picked up my first CPs, two Nepenthes x ventrata, at the Plant City strawberry festival (any other Floridians in here?? Woot!) and quickly became obsessed with them. I successfully propagated those two into several more plants, managed to collect a small library of books about CPs, and now I can’t really stop. I’m currently growing a handful of Pings (so much fun), three varieties of Neps, a half dozen or so flytraps, a handful of sundews, and I just finished a neat little thrift store bathroom sink bog for my Sars (leucos, flava, and something else I’m honestly not really sure what she is).
It’s really funny, I got my first pitchers because I like growing things and we *had* a pretty bad wasp/mosquito problem. We still have a pretty bad wasp/mosquito problem, but I’m not mad about it anymore.
Cheers!
Heather
Camden, John W, stickgirl liked this
By Bluefire
Welcome!
Hope joining this forum helps you get more out of it. Funnily enough, I was in the same place as you when I joined, having read through many things on here before.
Norcrossnotgeorgia liked this
By Norcrossnotgeorgia
Panman wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:46 pm Welcome aboard! Let's see some pictures of that sink bog!
Check it out! I plan to build onto it, framing in old sinks in a step style pattern. I’ve found some really gaudy/tacky weird 15.00 sinks, and I really dig the way they look. This was the first attempt.
Actually, since we’re here, some input would be more than welcome, if you feel inclined. This is my first time growing these guys, and I’ve read a lot about rot happening in really wet environments (I’m in central Florida), so I’ve been playing with light and moisture levels, letting them dry out a bit before topping up a couple of inches. So my question is this: the plan has always been to fill the sink with medium and install a small French drain down the side. Ive been concerned that the crowns aren’t getting enough direct light sitting deep in those containers. A permanent bog seemed like the right solution, but now they’re sending up tons of new growth (after recovering from a real bad spider mite infestation. Wow that sucked a LOT), and I’m wondering if I should just leave them alone till next year. I dunno. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Attachments:
3E5D63B0-5732-423A-B977-26A50CC27522.jpeg
3E5D63B0-5732-423A-B977-26A50CC27522.jpeg (4.04 MiB) Viewed 2783 times
4736D001-2825-4007-B377-25605F8E6FDC.jpeg
4736D001-2825-4007-B377-25605F8E6FDC.jpeg (4.24 MiB) Viewed 2783 times
BE5E65CB-FD63-4778-BD80-B500F7FACA99.jpeg
BE5E65CB-FD63-4778-BD80-B500F7FACA99.jpeg (3.37 MiB) Viewed 2783 times
Bluefire, Dan V, Blackfeather666 and 1 others liked this
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!