FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
Are there any bugs with toxins that can blacken CPs (vft, sarracenia) leafs? I know from experience that ladybugs can and I have heard that pill bugs and millipedes produce some toxins.
By ChefDean
It's generally less that they're toxic (although there are a few suspected to be), but more so that they're too big (larger than about 1/3 - 1/2 the length of the trap or too bulky) to be digested quickly enough. The bacteria in the bug help the bug rot and mold before it can be consumed, which the plant can't handle.
In my experience, Neps are about the only ones that resist it longer, askong as fluid stays in the pitcher. I stuff mine with Japanese Beetles and June Bugs and only lose a few pitchers.
By Barlapipas 6
In my experience when I fed my nepenthes a ladybug, immediately the next day it started dying.
By Apollyon
Idk if lovebugs are an issue where you are but they'll trash a Sarracenia pretty good and seem to *love* Nep flowers. haven't noticed pitcher death yet but its my first year having them outside
By optique
I didn't know Ladybugs were toxic. Clemson U. releases waves of them every year in my area. They are all over everything outside when the do.
By Intheswamp
Interesting about the ladybugs being toxic. It appears that they secrete a "fluid" when they feel in danger. Quote: "alkaloid (coccinelline)-rich fluid (reflex blood) from leg joints". Supposedly, birds that eat on the fly, such as flycatchers, swallows, martins, etc., don't mind the taste but the "garden variety" of birds don't like the taste. I wonder if when they fall in a pitcher or otherwise trapped by a CP if they secrete this fluid and it is what causes the problems.

As for lovebugs...my few little sundews have been enjoying them! I'm not sure about the flytraps, I haven't seen one close on one or have one hanging out of it's trap.
Savethetrees4life liked this
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!