FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Rodzun
Hello guys!

I am very new to carnivorous plants

I just bought some venus fly traps seeds and it includes around 25 seeds, and something that I can't find or figure out is, how many seeds per pot should I sow?

some people say a few, a couple etc., but not sure how to measure the word "few" "couple" "handful" as quantity of seeds per pot

it exists a limit number of seeds per pot?

I bought 2 packs of around 25 seeds each with 2 square plastic pots of 4"
VF TrapperKeeper liked this
By Bluefire
First, if you're really really new, flytraps may not be the best beginner choice for seeds. I'd go with tropical sundews, especially D. spatulata or D. capensis. Not an expert on these, but I'm sure some other people are. Since they're so small, I wouldn't bother counting them.

Edit: as is obvious, I have no knowledge of flytrap care and am not particularly good with them. Sorry.
Last edited by Bluefire on Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ChefDean
Seeds may not be the best start with a new grower of VFT's, but you already have the seeds. You also need to realize they'll grow if successfully germinated.
As seeds, you could easily put 25 per pot, no worries. If you get an 80% germination, you now have 20 plants growing. Still no problem as long as they're spaced out. That might be fine for the first year. However, you'll eventually need to thin them out by separation or transplanting them to new pots.
It might be better to do perhaps 5 to 10 in each pot, and put the rest of the seeds in the fridge until you get more pots. At that number per pot, they might be OK until you replace the media in a couple of years.
Rodzun liked this
By Rodzun
ChefDean wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:50 pm Seeds may not be the best start with a new grower of VFT's, but you already have the seeds. You also need to realize they'll grow if successfully germinated.
As seeds, you could easily put 25 per pot, no worries. If you get an 80% germination, you now have 20 plants growing. Still no problem as long as they're spaced out. That might be fine for the first year. However, you'll eventually need to thin them out by separation or transplanting them to new pots.
It might be better to do perhaps 5 to 10 in each pot, and put the rest of the seeds in the fridge until you get more pots. At that number per pot, they might be OK until you replace the media in a couple of years.
Thanks man! finally, an accurate answer!

Regarding stratification or storing seeds on the fridge, should the seeds for stratification and/or storing them for later be on the upper door of the fridge? (Frost chamber where the meat is stored)?
By ChefDean
No stratification is necessary, and placement in the fridge isn't crucial. You could even keep them on the counter or in the cupboard as long as they're dry and stay dry.
By Rodzun
ChefDean wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:19 pm No stratification is necessary, and placement in the fridge isn't crucial. You could even keep them on the counter or in the cupboard as long as they're dry and stay dry.
Yup, i know now that it is not necessary, at least for the VTF seeds, however my question is more general, because people do talk about stratification of other types of seeds or keeping in the fridge but they never say exactly where... if in the frost chamber or in the main chamber below
By Panman
When storing them in the refrigerator the key is to have them sealed in a plastic bag so that they won't be desiccated by the frost-free cycle. It is best to store them in a paper envelope inside the plastic. That way the seeds don't stick to the bag; looking at you drosera! You also want to store them where they won't get frozen. If you have a refrigerator like mine, that means in the door and not the back of the fridge. The same goes for stratification.
Rodzun liked this
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!