FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By -Stanley-
If I got my information right filiformis need two month stratification, right?
By Shadowtski
Two months should be fine.
Filiformis have such a wide range that some see a one month Winter and the other end of their range see a three month Winter.
But a 2 month cold damp stratification period should work for all of them.
Just my 02¢ worth.
Panman, -Stanley-, MikeB liked this
By -Stanley-
Alright, thanks for the help.
By jetfire245
At least for the few different Florida filiformis I needed zero stratification but resulted in a low germination rate.

I wonder if the same is true for your variety
-Stanley- liked this
By ChefDean
Temperate varieties need the stratification unless very, very fresh. Even then you'll have a very low germination rate without it, like 1%.
On the other hand, the subtropical varieties do not require stratification, and you will get decent germination without it. However, since they're still genetically wired for stratification, you'll usually get a better germination rate with stratifying the subtropical ones too.
-Stanley- liked this
By jetfire245
ChefDean wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:35 pm Temperate varieties need the stratification unless very, very fresh. Even then you'll have a very low germination rate without it, like 1%.
On the other hand, the subtropical varieties do not require stratification, and you will get decent germination without it. However, since they're still genetically wired for stratification, you'll usually get a better germination rate with stratifying the subtropical ones too.
Very interesting. I'm getting even more curious about these plants by the day. It makes plenty of sense really.

Though I'm extremely curious why a plant may still choose to grow without stratification, perhaps because they aren't quite as precise as a computer. You know me, manipulation of nature is what makes it interesting!

Although if your "1%"is accurate. That amount of germination without stratification would damn near be a fluke. Very perplexing plants.
By MikeB
My 2¢ worth: A few years ago, I bought 4 Florida Red plants from a seller near Orlando. They bloomed like crazy, and their seeds needed no cold stratification. By the end of summer, that plant tray was full of little red threadleaf sundews. If you're sowing seeds from plants in North Carolina, New Jersey, or New England, then those need cold stratification.
Drosera germination time

I have only grown the humptydew type of D. burmann[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!