FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
How rare is it to get red leafed vft (like red dragon) from the seed of a regular vft? Like 1 in 200 seeds or something?
By Barlapipas 6
And also how do you know that you have red vft seedlings?
By MaxVft
They’re pretty common, I’d say chances are 1 in about 20 - 30. But parentage definitely matters, e.g. you have more red-leafed parents then you will get a lot more but if your parents are mainly green-leafed/all-green then chances are incredibly slim. If the first leaves are red (the ones you see coming out of the seed after the taproot has sprouted) then you likely have a red VFT, but even if it does have it’s first leaves green there’s still a chance. In my experience I’ve had about 30% red seedlings.
MikeB liked this
By Barlapipas 6
Thanks! This is very good news because I like red vfts and it encourages me to grow seeds. But I will transplant my vfts in bigger pots this spring. Should I let them flower (there is only 1 mature plant), or should I wait the next spring?
By MaxVft
Barlapipas 6 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:48 pm Should I let them flower (there is only 1 mature plant), or should I wait the next spring?
If only one flowers and seeds aren’t your biggest concern (flytraps have a slim chance of producing several seeds per flower), then I’d say just snip it and wait till next spring when you have more flowers to cross pollinate with.
By Sundews69
MaxVft wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:34 am
Barlapipas 6 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:48 pm Should I let them flower (there is only 1 mature plant), or should I wait the next spring?
If only one flowers and seeds aren’t your biggest concern (flytraps have a slim chance of producing several seeds per flower), then I’d say just snip it and wait till next spring when you have more flowers to cross pollinate with.
You can also try to propagate the flower into a new plant.
By Barlapipas 6
Ohh yeah I forgot about that. :roll:

From what I remember, one quarter teaspoon per gal[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!