FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By GothicJackalPaws
If it's transmissible, then it is almost certainly a virus, because this doesn't strike me as bacteria.

If it's not, then it is most likely genetic-- or the result of odd environmental effects, such as chemicals/pollutants/poisons.

But given that most of what can "poison" a VFT most often kills it, I find this to be highly unlikely unless a specific agent can be pinpointed. Sort of like how if someone drinks something deadly poisonous very young, but survives, it can have a permanent effect on their health and/or appearance-- alter hair and skin color, interfere with eye color, etc. That's just a tiny example, and I doubt it's applicable to this situation. Unless our peat moss manufacturers are putting stuff in our soil that we're not aware of... o___O'

This whole thing reminds me of Pokerus. Should we call this the Traperus? Dionaeus? Dionysus Virus? :P

I would personally love, love to have a spotty. Then I could take a leaf to my mom's lab and look at it under her microscopes. I'm super-interested in biology and virology (I don't consider the latter to be a proper sub-division of the former-- viruses aren't properly 'alive') and I'd like to see if I could compare the leaves of a healthy typical to a spotty.

Anyone want to trade me one so I can do this? Even just a leaf cutting with a tiny bit of the rhizome would be enough-- that way, it'd be alive, fresh, and I could still look at it. :D
By Steve_D
SEB wrote:It's broken tulips all over again.
I agree, it's like the tulip craze in the 1600's that was fueled by a virus. Here's some background about that tulip mania--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania
By TrapsAndDews
I know this topic is a decade old, but did anyone have any results from their experiments?
Intheswamp liked this

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!