FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
Dry moss is starting to get really hard to come by and is skyrocketing in price. I wanna give growing my own a shot so I don’t have to spend so much on soil. Anybody here have good amounts of moss for sale that are (preferably) acclimated to full sun? Please PM me if you have any.

Thank you
Max
By MikeB
How much qualifies as "good amounts"?

Have you taken a look at Meadowview Biological Research Station (Online Catalog > Associate bog plant)? Their sphagnum grows outdoors in eastern Virginia, and you usually get freebie Sarracenia seedlings with it. They sell a gallon bag of green sphagnum for $20 and red/purple sphagnum for $40. It's actually a lot more moss than you might think. If you cut the strands into pieces 1-1.5 inches long, you can carpet three or four 1020 trays from one bag.

If you're just propagating sphagnum moss for use as substrate, then I'd go with the green sphagnum. It looks like one of the "coarse" species that grows fast and forms deep, fluffy mounds.
MaxVft, Camden liked this
By MaxVft
@MikeB, Thanks for the links and advice. I plan to grow a lot for use as both substrate and a decorative topping for my plants which I have several 1020 trays I need to fill. A gallon is generally what I’m looking for.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!