FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Camden
So I got this thing 4 months ago with a florae order. Can I resurrect this stuff and if so how do I care for it.
Attachments:
99F443C4-BF84-4124-8DD0-59835F696DCA.jpeg
99F443C4-BF84-4124-8DD0-59835F696DCA.jpeg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 2677 times
C2DDD72C-CCB9-4508-B2D5-994026E34388.jpeg
C2DDD72C-CCB9-4508-B2D5-994026E34388.jpeg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 2677 times
By Intheswamp
It looks like it indeed has some new green growth on it. Cool.

I obtained some live sphagnum a while back locally from a guy I know. I've simply had it in a plastic 16qt(?) Sterilite container sitting where it gets 2-3 hours of full sun and the rather dappled to full shade. When it rains heavy it can almost fill the container full...I then simply tilt it to the side and drain the water off, leaving a half an inch or so in the bottom...sometimes more...sometimes less. I'm a simpleton that's not capable of understanding rocket science. :mrgreen: So far the moss has been growing pretty nicely but I'm not sure going forward what to do to keep it growing nicely. I used some for the first time yesterday. I've watched and read where a layer of peat moss is spread out over a tray and soaked until almost "soupy". Then live moss is cut up and spread across (somewhat thinly) the peat...or whole moss is spread out over it. I tried this with some live moss that a nice person sent me but I think the peat moss I used was probably the worst peat moss in the world and though I carefully monitored the LSM it slowly died out. This last, second batch of sphagnum moss I have I decided to skip the peat moss layer and it has done well (compared to my first attempt). When I acquired the sphagnum I was careful to keep the top, green-side "up" and the brown, bottom-side "down"...I then placed it in the plastic container upright. It looks like yours is mixed up but it is growing apparently so keep it moist, occasionally let it flood, give it some sunshine....morning sun is naturally better as it doesn't heat up as bad.

Most of the sphagnum bogs I've seen (and I admit I've seen very few!) were spongy, soggy, and wet...if it was a really dry period the top layer of moss would be brown and dry with a few specks of green here and there or possibly a depression where more water gathered would have greener moss growing. During wet spells, even rainy conditions, the moss can take on a really almost florescent green color. It likes to be most. When it gets dry I usually use my spray bottle filled with rainwater to wet the moss down a couple of times a day...and I make sure a little water is in the bottom of the container.

This is just my ramblings...other folks have been doing this much longer than me and will give you better info, I'm sure! ;) :)
By Panman
Looks like you've got sphagnum growing. Keep it wet, high humidity, and bright indirect light. If it is in a closed container, be sure to open it occasionally to exchange air and prevent mold.
By mhal408
Panman wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:58 pm Looks like you've got sphagnum growing. Keep it wet, high humidity, and bright indirect light. If it is in a closed container, be sure to open it occasionally to exchange air and prevent mold.
I have a question, if say i put live sphagnum out in full sun and the tip furthest from soil level has dried up but the rest is still green, is it plausible to assume they will grow just fine but stays closer to the soil level instead? The green ones are still wet to touch and warm even in full sun.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!