FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

Quick question since I couldn't find info on it. My drosera binata multifada extrema has been super happy outside and started flowering like mad. I got lucky and even managed to catch them in their flower forms before they vanished!

I was just wondering, will they actually turn to seed by themselves like with other drosera forms? Do I just leave them alone and they'll seed, or did they need another drosera flowering nearby to get pollinated?

By ChefDean
No. Most forms of binata are self incompatible, you need two genetically different plants to get seeds. The only selfable binata I'm aware of are the T-Form and Small Red Form, both of which are in the seed bank if you're interested.
Nikson, Supercazzola liked this
By Nikson
ChefDean wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:09 am No. Most forms of binata are self incompatible, you need two genetically different plants to get seeds. The only selfable binata I'm aware of are the T-Form and Small Red Form, both of which are in the seed bank if you're interested.
Oooo, gotcha, thanks man! Do you think next time I should just trim the flowers then? Can you propogate the flower stems into new plants for binata? Do you have to do it early on before they flower for them to strike?

And oh man, I really need to check out the seed bank for sure. I think I'm at the level now where I can try growing something simple from seed like sundews haha.
By ChefDean
Trimming the flowers is more to conserve energy, such as in VFT's. Sundews are less affected, so you can let them go if you want. However, just like VFT's, you'll grow a new plant (or plants) from strikes rather than seed. Try it out if you want
Nikson liked this
By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:14 am Trimming the flowers is more to conserve energy, such as in VFT's. Sundews are less affected, so you can let them go if you want. However, just like VFT's, you'll grow a new plant (or plants) from strikes rather than seed. Try it out if you want
Once the flowers have been blooming for a while can you still cut the flower stalks and have good results starting plantlets from them?
By ChefDean
I don't know. As far as sundews, I've only done cuttings of cheap and easy Capes in the past, and I used big, new leaves not flower stalks.
With VFT's, I've always cut the stalks when they're young, well before they've started to even think about blooming
Intheswamp, Nikson liked this
By steve booth
Root cuttings are the easiest way. Mine seed all over the place as I have many distinct individuals, but when I pull them up in the growing season, I pot up lengths of the thick black roots to make more plants, the roots are cut into 2" lengths and lightly pressed into your normal medium and keep wet. Hey presto, loads more plants that I haven't room or got a home for.

Cheers
Steve
tommyr, Nikson liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!