FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By gatoruss
I purchased some VFTs and cape sundews from Lee's Botanical. The red VFT is a red onyx (from tissue culture), and the other two are seed grown common/typical.

Ordered Thursday, shipped Friday and arrived Monday. Well packed in plastic bags. The common VFTs were advertised as medium, and had nice roots. The red onyx was advertised as small, and had a very small root.

I immediatley potted them in a mix of peat (>50%), sand (~30%) and perlite (~20%), but a lot of perllite moved to surface when watering.

Other than 2 typical VFTs i picked up from lowes about 10 days ago, this is my first attempt to grow CPs. Wish me luck!
Attachments:
vfts.jpg
vfts.jpg (4.35 MiB) Viewed 3404 times
red_onyx.jpg
red_onyx.jpg (3.51 MiB) Viewed 3404 times
sun_dews.jpg
sun_dews.jpg (3.75 MiB) Viewed 3404 times
vft_1.jpg
vft_1.jpg (4.15 MiB) Viewed 3404 times
Last edited by gatoruss on Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bird, Intheswamp liked this
By gatoruss
Here is photo of the 2 VFTs from Lowes -10 days after repotting.
Attachments:
lowes_vfts.jpg
lowes_vfts.jpg (3.99 MiB) Viewed 3395 times
Bird liked this
By gatoruss
jetfire245 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:36 pm Wait so why did you repot them?
The photos is my second post are of the 2 VFTs that I purchased at Lowes. They came in tiny little pots. I repotted them on the day I purchased them.
By Intheswamp
The flytraps might be planted a little too deep. It's hard to get them just right, but worth the trouble. Eventually, though, the sand/peat mix may settle down around them, exposing more of the crown. I know for some of mine that has happened.
By gatoruss
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:38 pm The flytraps might be planted a little too deep. It's hard to get them just right, but worth the trouble. Eventually, though, the sand/peat mix may settle down around them, exposing more of the crown. I know for some of mine that has happened.
I was concerned about that with respect to the two traps in the photo in my second post above. In the case of the 3 traps from Lee (photo in my first post above), I didn't think that was a concern.

Do you think I need to repot? Or just keep it in mind the next time I repot these?
By Intheswamp
I wish I could tell you. With top-watering the grow-mix might settle on in around them. I'm thinking that being low in the ground might promote rot or inhibit new growth. I do see new growth so that's a good thing. But, I'm a relative newbie to all of this so maybe someone with more experience can chime in on whether there's a need to repot them. ;)
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!