FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

My B52 I bought at the end of last year is having issues with its new growth for some reason lately. It went through dormancy no issue and was only about an inch big, but now it's a LOT bigger and was growing perfectly fine for the past few months and all through summer.

For some reason, the new growth is turning black and mutated on the trap portions. Anything to worry about here, or is it just normal for this to happen? It's been pretty hot in Georgia lately, so I was thinking it might just be the heat.

I live in Georgia in a 7b zone, plants sit outside in full sun on my deck and only get rainwater/distilled water/dehumidifier water from tray watering. All tests below 15 ppm max. I let the trays go dry before refilling them with water to try and not overwater.

By VFTnPups
Some of mine have been doing that as well. I believe it’s the extreme heat/humidity. A shade cloth might help, but I’ve been too lazy to figure out the best way to set one up. I’m not worried. This year has been pretty bad for my plants in terms of weather and most of my cultivars have been very fussy. I’m hoping next year will be better.
Nikson, tommyr liked this
By Nikson
VFTnPups wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:12 pm Some of mine have been doing that as well. I believe it’s the extreme heat/humidity. A shade cloth might help, but I’ve been too lazy to figure out the best way to set one up. I’m not worried. This year has been pretty bad for my plants in terms of weather and most of my cultivars have been very fussy. I’m hoping next year will be better.
Oh man yeah, that's what I was thinking. When it was nonstop 100 degrees everyday a month ago, my VFTs were in black pots and they were growing REALLY badly. I finally moved them to white pots and they took off again, but recently they've been putting out some poopy growth so I was just scared I might be doing something wrong.

This year is definitely pretty bad heat wise, like oof.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!