FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By gatoruss
Newbie here from Central Florida. Have always loved VFTs since watching "Little Shop of Horrors."

Over the years, I have had a few VFTs. Helped my daughter with a science project involving VFTs 10-15 years ago.

I want to try my hand at propagating some VTF from seed, and maybe some day try my hand at tissue culture (to see if I can).

Ordered some NC seeds (https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/north ... -trap-seed) and red leaf seeds https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/venus ... d-seed-mix from FlyTrapStore.com.

8-) Wish me luck!
Savethetrees4life liked this
By Intheswamp
gatoruss wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:04 pm I want to try my hand at propagating some VTF from seed, and maybe some day try my hand at tissue culture (to see if I can).
Welcome to the forum. The FTS is a good source for your seeds, good choice! Sounds like you've got a long-range plan mapped out! Do you currently have any VFTs growing now? Growing from seed usually is stated as taking from two to four years to raise a plant to maturity.

I don't believe in luck so I'll just say, "Best wishes!!!". :D
By gatoruss
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:17 pm
gatoruss wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:04 pm I want to try my hand at propagating some VTF from seed, and maybe some day try my hand at tissue culture (to see if I can).
Welcome to the forum. The FTS is a good source for your seeds, good choice! Sounds like you've got a long-range plan mapped out! Do you currently have any VFTs growing now? Growing from seed usually is stated as taking from two to four years to raise a plant to maturity.

I don't believe in luck so I'll just say, "Best wishes!!!". :D
I do not, and your point is well taken. I will be on the lookout for an interesting candidate.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Welcome to the forum. Where are you located?

Ordering that many plants and some seeds...I figure you've done your homework, but... Rain/distilled/RO water only, no Miracle-Gro products, no grow mix that has any fertilizer in it, keep the mix moist (not soggy), and have fun! Oh, and check out the seed bank...free seeds! :D Well, the seeds are free but ya gotta fork out the dough for a couple of stamps and a couple of envelopes...not a bad deal. Though I'm still trying to get the elf-like creature that runs the seedbank to start using carrier pigeons...or flying monkeys (plenty of flying monkeys left over from the Wizard of Oz set but they *are* getting a tad long-toothed). But, I digress... :mrgreen:

ETA: I'm not sure about Hac/on's post now. I'll wait to see if my post gets a response from him/her. It seems there's been a robot sniffing around the forum again. For some reason, even one of our email accounts seems to suddenly be seeing at uptick in scammers/phishers/BS.<sigh>
By Intheswamp
LordVishn wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:59 am The NC seeds are in a wine glass with distilled water. Misted the seeds with water.

The red leaf seeds are in a soil mixture and in a plastic container in my kitchen window sill. Misted the soil with distilled water.

Wish me luck.
What cli mate are you in?

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!