FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By septembersapphire21
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I posted here, and I'm doing one and sharing great news on my Neps!

First, Clara, my Nep Ventrata took about a month and a half to acclimate outside and is growing three pitchers! The first one has already grown about the same length of my fingers and it should open up soon!

Second, the basal offshoot from Clara that I didn't named yet it's doing well after being potted in April. I believe it was grown a root system and hopefully, can maybe pitcher next month because I took noticed of where the growth node is there's a possibility of a pitcher starting to grow.

Lastly, my mystery Nepenthes has two fully grown offshoots and is a healthy plant! There's pictures have fully developed, while some are starting to grow. However, I don't know how to get them to be their natural color instead of just green. Would anyone know how to improve their coloring? Lastly, after doing some website and image research, I'm wondering if my Mystery Nepenthes is a Alata. Can it be an Alata?

Thanks for reading! :D
Attachments:
pitcher1.PNG
pitcher1.PNG (496.48 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
pitcher2.PNG
pitcher2.PNG (407.51 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
pitcher3.PNG
pitcher3.PNG (474.25 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
healthymysterynep.PNG
healthymysterynep.PNG (552.25 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
mysteryneppicupdate.PNG
mysteryneppicupdate.PNG (480.86 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
optique, Bluefire, Camden liked this
By Bluefire
The mystery plant seems a little too young to discern what it is. Maybe let it grow a little more. More mature plants produce radically different pitchers from the hairy green generic baby pitchers.
By septembersapphire21
Bluefire wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:30 am The mystery plant seems a little too young to discern what it is. Maybe let it grow a little more. More mature plants produce radically different pitchers from the hairy green generic baby pitchers.
Oof, ok. These pitchers have been the same since mid to end of June, but more have grown. Any advice on getting them to fully mature and even develop their coloring? I've been keeping it in my garage at a east facing window, I keep the humidity up by misting, and it gets watered once a week.
By Camden
septembersapphire21 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:02 am
Bluefire wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:30 am The mystery plant seems a little too young to discern what it is. Maybe let it grow a little more. More mature plants produce radically different pitchers from the hairy green generic baby pitchers.
Oof, ok. These pitchers have been the same since mid to end of June, but more have grown. Any advice on getting them to fully mature and even develop their coloring? I've been keeping it in my garage at a east facing window, I keep the humidity up by misting, and it gets watered once a week.
Really all you can do is feed it beta pellets until it grows up🫤
By septembersapphire21
Camden M wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:53 am
septembersapphire21 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:02 am
Really all you can do is feed it beta pellets until it grows up🫤
Oh I didn't know they could eat beta pellets :shock: I can try that and hopes it works! I understand certain Neps grow slower than others, but I hate to see these guys not forming their natural color at this rate. I'll let you know if the beta pellets work. Thanks for the advice! :mrgreen:
Camden liked this
By Camden
Supercazzola wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:52 am I highly advise against new growers of Nepenthes using any sort of supplemental fertilizer until you get more experience and confidence. You can easily burn the plant, if not kill it.
For most cases, yes, absolutely do not feed your plant anything other than the occasional dead house fly if you’re inexperienced with neps. Beta pellets, however, are very weak compared to the other fertilizer’s used for CP’s. The worst thing you can do with beta pellets is overfeed one of your pitchers and then lose that pitcher (not the plant or leaf it was connected to). One beta pellet once a week for healthy pitchers and 6 a week for half dead/my eyes, they burn pitchers would be safe.
By Supercazzola
Yeah but beta pellets are made for fish, with protein, fiber, and fat. Not at all what a carnivorous plant needs or should get. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I think it is some questionable advice.
By Bluefire
I’ve heard the fish food thing in a lot of places, and I really am curious if it works and if so how well… I’d imagine they produce quite the stench. But I wouldn’t know, I stick to bugs.
By Camden
Supercazzola wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:07 am Yeah but beta pellets are made for fish, with protein, fiber, and fat. Not at all what a carnivorous plant needs or should get. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I think it is some questionable advice.
Well you might want to take that up with Remy, he’s the one I got it from. Tryed it myself and saw leaf jumps after.
-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7F63ep-74&t=159s
By septembersapphire21
I've seen there was a discussion about using beta fish pellets or other fertilizers, and I don't have time to reply to some replies, but hopefully you guys see this!

I didn't tried the beta fish pellets yet. One of my brothers stopped owning fish early this year and he had beta pellets left over, but they expired two months ago. I was actually back in here today to ask if it's still safe to use them. And yes, I'm still new to growing Nepenthes and never tried fertilizers on any of my CPs in fear of killing them by accident, I let them all grow naturally as their wild counter parts. If you guys believe I should give the pellets a try, I can, but I definitely won't feed every pitcher and it'll only be less then 3 pieces of pellets. If not, I'll still continue to let them grow naturally, but I wish their pitchers can be full grown, I hope they and the Nep isn't stunt in their growth and I don't know it.
By Bluefire
If you don’t feel comfortable using the fish food, you can always look for bugs. Those are its natural food so they should be safe. I tend to use various dead bugs found around the home or go outside to catch some ants. It’s been working for me, the plants don’t tend to drop pitchers when fed insects. And it does seem to help them grow.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!