FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Carnivoria Crusader is an awesome plant that often makes traps in the shape of a "cross" (hence the name Crusader). I recently took photos of both Carnivoria Crusader and Carnivoria Asmodeus and got the photos labeled incorrectly. :oops: :oops: :oops:

All of the photos of both plants ended up in the Asmodeus folder and I just realized my mistake yesterday (July 10th), so I'm starting this new thread to set the record straight :D

So here are a few photos of Carnivoria Crusader (NOT Asmodeus)!!
Carnivoria Crusader
Carnivoria Crusader
Carnivoria-Crusader-4.JPG (704.03 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Carnivoria Crusader
Carnivoria Crusader
Carnivoria-Crusader-1.JPG (536.42 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Carnivoria Crusader
Carnivoria Crusader
Carnivoria-Crusader-5.JPG (646.2 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Carnivoria Crusader
Carnivoria Crusader
Carnivoria-Crusader-11.JPG (572.67 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Carnivoria Crusader
Carnivoria Crusader
Carnivoria-Crusader-2.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 3242 times
By Matt
ChefDean wrote:Are these traps functional? Or just showy?
Definitely functional! Both Crusader and Asmodeus have caught a number of bugs this year despite it being a poor "hunting" year for the flytraps. We've not had many flies yet and I'm not sure why. Last year by this time most of our flytraps were feasting. I guess it might be due to how dry it has been this summer?
By Matt
Panman wrote:If you want flies, get a cow. I thought horses were bad, but cows travel with their own swarms.
I guess I need to get a couple of pet cows :lol:

I knew that cattle drew flies like crazy. Steve Doonan, my old FTS growing partner, lived in Portales, NM and right in the middle of a bunch of dairies. The number of flies around his place was astonishing. And his plants would catch TONS of flies. It wasn't uncommon to see 3 or 4 dead flies in the older traps of his plants. His plants also grew lightning fast because of all of the food!
By ChefDean
Matt wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:50 pmWe've not had many flies yet and I'm not sure why. Last year by this time most of our flytraps were feasting. I guess it might be due to how dry it has been this summer?
Maybe because it is dryer, but I have my plants in close proximity to the garbage can, so they get fed. The Sarrs filled up early this year with carpenter bees, but my flytraps are still looking at about a 50% filled rate vs about 80% last year.
Matt wrote:I guess I need to get a couple of pet cows :lol:
Leah would never let you turn them into steaks, but then again, you could just not tell her.
Just say that not only did the cows go to live on a farm upstate, but the beef fairy left 600 pounds of steaks, roasts, and grind on the doorstep.
By Intheswamp
Don't mess with the cows...go big or go home. Get a commercial chicken house...a mandatory 500-pounds of juvenile flies (maggots) comes with each house!!! Plus, on a warm, humid evening with a gentle breeze blowing the scent can be soooo relaxing!!! :shock:
Matt liked this
By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:02 pm Leah would never let you turn them into steaks, but then again, you could just not tell her.
Just say that not only did the cows go to live on a farm upstate, but the beef fairy left 600 pounds of steaks, roasts, and grind on the doorstep.
Or, you could just tell her it's a new brand of tofu...and the cows "got away".
Matt liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!