FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By JaneCP
Just wanted to post an update.
I followed Panman's steps to stratify some Sarr seeds but knowing my luck with mold issues, I added a step of spritzing diluted isopropyl alcohol on half of the seeds before storing in the fridge. After about 8 weeks, here are the seeds:
20211113_202745.jpg
20211113_202745.jpg (821.98 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
The top row was with the alcohol spritz while the bottom was just with 'zero filter' water.
The alcohol spritz looked like it helped so I guess time will tell to see if it changed the viability of the seeds.
Panman liked this
By NightRaider
TrapsAndDews wrote:Can hydrogen peroxide be used to prevent any fungus?
I usually spritz peroxide diluted to 1% on my trays after sowing seeds to deter mold, so I imagine it should be safe if that's what you're asking.
By NightRaider
TrapsAndDews wrote:So would you be diluting the solution or the hydrogen peroxide to one percent? Since hydrogen peroxide is usually already diluted to 3 percent.
Sorry I should've specified. 2 parts water : 1 part 3% peroxide. Maybe they could take the full 3%, I don't know. I just know that this hasn't seemed to hurt germination rates and has stopped the growth of any mold outbreaks I've had.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By TrapsAndDews
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:38 pm Hydrogen peroxide them .
Are you talking about when I plant them? Because I've gotten the soil all ready, and I'm planning to plant the seeds either today or within the next few days.
By TrapsAndDews
Panman wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:53 pm I have had mild on the paper towel but I haven't noticed any problems with germination.
That's good to hear. Hopefully I won't have any problems with germination either.
By Intheswamp
NightRaider wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:29 pm
TrapsAndDews wrote:So would you be diluting the solution or the hydrogen peroxide to one percent? Since hydrogen peroxide is usually already diluted to 3 percent.
Sorry I should've specified. 2 parts water : 1 part 3% peroxide. Maybe they could take the full 3%, I don't know. I just know that this hasn't seemed to hurt germination rates and has stopped the growth of any mold outbreaks I've had.
Wow, was just talking about this in another thread...I guess my memory isn't the greatest, eh? So you use 1:3 H2O2 to water? That's a lot stronger than what I've read suggested, which is 1:32. Interesting. I mentioned planting a couple of pots of flytrap seeds and spraying with the 1:32 mix, I might try that and your more concentrated mix and see if there is a notable difference in germination rates.
By NightRaider
Peroxide as it comes from the store is usually already diluted to 3%, effectively 1:32, which is where I suspect you got that number. If you diluted the 3% again by 1:32, that'd be less than a tenth of a percent peroxide at that point, which I can't imagine would have any effect on really anything. What I meant was further diluting the 3% down to 1/3 (i.e. 1:2) for a total of ~1:99 or 1%. For all I know though "full strength" 3% may not cause any harm, I just didn't see the need to try it since my 1% solution has worked fine for me.
By Intheswamp
I've found lots of places stating use the 3% off-the-shelf H2O2 in the 1:32 ratio. It sounds like the stronger ratio is working for you. Needless to say, my confusion continues, but that's nothing new! :lol:
By NightRaider
Pretty weird that it'd just happen to be the exact same 1:32=3% ratio then, but just a coincidence I guess. In any event, some quick googling just now showed me anywhere from full 3% to around 1:16, with no observable damage to plants in any concentration in that range. There may not be too much household science left that hasn't already been done before, but this seems like a prime candidate for someone to experiment with. Maybe I'll take it up this fall since I should have a metric ton of capillaris seeds to test with.
Intheswamp liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!