FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By felinefancier87
Hi,

What are the upper limits of temperatures (Celsius please) of Sarracenia Catesbaei? I'm in the Okanagan in BC, Canada. I am trying to take out my plant to get a few hours of direct sun from mid morning to early afternoon as indoor care in my new place is not working out (not enough sun and it kept making stress leaves). But it can get hot here in the summer. I had a previous sarracenia that did NOT do well in above 30 degrees but it was a different species, so I'm wondering what this variety can handle.
By steve booth
The temperatures won't be a problem, but if I read your post correctly taking it out into the midday sun will be. If you have had it indoors then it will get sunburn if you do that without acclimation, and pitchers will be lost. Is there a reason you are taking it in and out? they don't normally like that as there are no consistent conditions.
Cheers
Steve
optique liked this
By felinefancier87
Hi Steve,

I'm doing this because it hasn't been doing well indoors. My new basement suite where I moved in March gets the morning sun for a few hours early on. I have been using artificial lighting but the only leaves it has produced are stress leaves. No fully developed pitchers.

I took it out Friday morning. The stress leaf has dried up and I'm hoping it will try to develop new pitchers. This is my last resort.
By ChefDean
The moving it in and out is more stressful to the plant, as it has to constantly try to adapt to different environments. I've had Sarracenia survive long term indoors on an east facing windowsill with careful fertilization. I wouldn't suggest that for everyone, but you need to find one thing that works better and leave it there.
By felinefancier87
What I meant is, I took it out Friday but intend to keep it outside. It only gets direct sun from mid morning to early afternoon. Is that ok?
ChefDean liked this
By ChefDean
Sorry, I misunderstood.
Yes, leaving it outside will be better for the plant, and direct sun as you've described will be great. Mine get direct sun from sunrise until about non to two in the afternoon, depending on position.
felinefancier87 liked this

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!