FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By jetfire245
I've heard a lot about the benefits of springtails.

Is there any particular reason I would not want to release a bunch of them on my plants?

I'm wondering if it's like the lady bug and preying mantis situation where "they're good for your garden!" but they're either invasive or all leave because they don't like the environment.

I gotta say springtails kinda look cute.
By NightRaider
I had a colony spontaneously pop up in my pot of U. cornuta and never noticed any adverse effects on the plants, nor did they spread to any other pots that were a couple inches away. They may not do well in lfs because they stayed contained to the only pot in which I exclusively used peat dust/sludge. I'm not sure if they're still there now, but they were there in significant numbers for several months at least. I'd personally try to find a native species though, possibly by gathering some decomposing leaf litter which I'd expect would have decent odds of containing some.
By davinstewart
I've heard that some species may snack on the roots and leaves of seedlings but I think that mostly they're harmless and maybe even beneficial.

Personally, I'd pull the trigger and see what happens. I'm thinking of adding them to my baby venus flytraps to see if it's an easy way to feed them and promote their growth.
By Bug_cemetery
Springtails are great! I’ve started adding them to the covered trays that I use for ping pullings and they have really helped reduce mold.
Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!