FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By felinefancier87
Hi Everyone,

I finally got my terrarium set up for lowland nepenthes and a couple of future drosera petiolaris sundews. With a humidifier with a tube to use as needed and loosely placed bubble wrap over top (not fully sealed), I can both trap heat and humidity and it's working. (humidity is in the 80+% and temperature gets to about 30 degrees Celsius). The base consists of lava rocks, water, and a carpet of dried sphagnum moss.

However, I'm not sure if I should be concerned about air flow. I bought a small computer fan and adapter so it can plug in. Previously I had tried using it before the bubble wrap idea, when I just had an aluminium foil tent over top. The fan both caused loss of heat and humidity back then. With bubble wrap (and maybe an added foil tent over top if necessary), maybe this isn't a concern. Should I be using my fan? If so, how often? During the day and night, or only during the day, or night?
Attachments:
20220619_104123.jpg
20220619_104123.jpg (6.42 MiB) Viewed 4213 times
By optique
I am wanting to make something to grow out nepenthes cuttings in the winter so let us know how this works out. So far my terrarium experience is limited to home made domes like this.

but this works for making more sundews
By Camden
felinefancier87 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:00 pm Hi Everyone,

I finally got my terrarium set up for lowland nepenthes and a couple of future drosera petiolaris sundews. With a humidifier with a tube to use as needed and loosely placed bubble wrap over top (not fully sealed), I can both trap heat and humidity and it's working. (humidity is in the 80+% and temperature gets to about 30 degrees Celsius). The base consists of lava rocks, water, and a carpet of dried sphagnum moss.

However, I'm not sure if I should be concerned about air flow. I bought a small computer fan and adapter so it can plug in. Previously I had tried using it before the bubble wrap idea, when I just had an aluminium foil tent over top. The fan both caused loss of heat and humidity back then. With bubble wrap (and maybe an added foil tent over top if necessary), maybe this isn't a concern. Should I be using my fan? If so, how often? During the day and night, or only during the day, or night?
I mean mine have been growing fine without out a fan although I am using a mini greenhouse from Walmart. I’m sure if you look up this stuff on YouTube you’ll find a thousand videos. I based mine off of this video but changed some stuff for my setup- https://youtu.be/KPh0v9W3rhI

NOT! Woke up to this. 2055277A-F5AF-46FA-84DD-7E[…]

I don't know about proven, but I've kept mine seal[…]

Not what you would expect...

Right now I'm in the process of trying to thwart[…]

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!