FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By felinefancier87
Hi Everyone,

I bought my terrarium supplies and got it set up but I will need a humidifier to supplement humidity as the levels are below 80% after 25 degrees (not enough plants at the moment despite lots of sphagnum moss) .

Got any recommendations for cost effective humidifier solutions?

I watched this video
Code: Select all
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y7lDSVzFTeU&list=PL4SUBMcGIB2CrGTamMUGWwEcdIXl0Kt6U&index=1
that demonstrates at 8:33 hooking up an aquarium tube to an ultrasonic personal humidifier.

But I'm in Canada and we don't have a Target so I would like some suggestions that are cheap and work well that are available in Canada.

Like, at some point it's cheaper to buy a humidifier that is designed for terrarium use that already has a hose than make one out of a personal humidifier.

Got any experience/ suggestions if you've already gone through this process?
Last edited by felinefancier87 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NightRaider
Any cool mist humidifier will work, so you shouldn't have any issues locating one online or at a drugstore. They can be finicky to get to work continuously without condensation eventually accumulating and blocking the tube though. You may have to fashion an adapter of sorts to fit it over the spout depending how it's made. Mine was flat, so I used the cut-off top of a water bottle and a cake frosting decorating tip to funnel it down to fit a tube over it, attaching both pieces together with super glue and then to the humidifier with silicone. Right now I'm using a dishwasher drain hose that fits relatively loosely at the base so it hasn't had any issues draining w/o getting blocked, but I'm about to have to switch to 3/8" tubing which may take some more work to get right.
Alternatively, you might could adapt something for an ultrasonic fogger like this and come out a little cheaper.
By felinefancier87
Ok, but in general the way to do it is to have a tube going into your terrarium rather than trying to place a small humidifier inside it? (I apologize if this is a dumb question. I'm learning as I go. )
By NightRaider
felinefancier87 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:16 pm Ok, but in general the way to do it is to have a tube going into your terrarium rather than trying to place a small humidifier inside it? (I apologize if this is a dumb question. I'm learning as I go. )
Technically you could put one of those discs in a reservoir inside the tank, but yeah generally running a tube from a humidifier is the way to go since you get a much larger water reservoir and don't have to sacrifice any space inside the tank.
felinefancier87 wrote:Like, at some point it's cheaper to buy a humidifier that is designed for terrarium use that already has a hose than make one out of a personal humidifier.
People have used reptifoggers before, but from what I've heard at least they're generally unreliable and often break after a few months. That's not to say it's not worth trying though if you just want an out-of-box solution rather than trying to rig up something yourself for maybe $30-40 cheaper.
By NightRaider
Larger diameter makes it easier to keep it from getting blocked or constricted, no idea what the minimum you can get away with is though. Might be tough with standard 3/16" aquarium tubing, but still worth a try. If you can't get it to work, you should be able to find 3/8" or 1/2" ID vinyl tubing from a hardware store that should be easier to get to work.
By specialkayme
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W7 ... UTF8&psc=1

Hooked up to

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0892 ... UTF8&psc=1

It allows you not only to have humidity, but to control the actual humidity, both day and night. I've had both running for 14 months without issue.

About 6 months after I hooked it up, the fogger started beeping at me. At first I thought I had a defective unit, but figured it was worth a shot breaking it down to see what was going on. Ended up some algae was growing in the bottom of the reservoir that prevented the fogger from working. Once I cleaned it up, it started working just fine. I think the algae was making the sensor think it was low on water, and shut it off to prevent dry running. About two months ago it started beeping again, this time I believe the base was not level.

I've let the system run for a week on end while I was out of town with no issues whatsoever. I can even check on the humidity level in the area through the inkbird online from anywhere in the world. So if I'm out of town and something is wrong, the inkbird will send me an alarm, or if I check and notice it isn't quite right, I can ask a friend to come check on what's going on.

I've heard some stories of people saying the foggers only work for a month or two. As with any product, there will be some duds. 14 months (and running) out of my system and I won't complain.
NightRaider liked this
By felinefancier87
Hmm, Ok. Thanks to you both for the feedback. Yeah the aquarium tubing so far isn't allowing in enough humidity. It might be a tad small.
Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!