FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By felinefancier87
Hi,

I have a nepenthes bicalcarata (recovering from accidental sunburn lol) and cephalotus, as well as some live sphagnum moss I'm trying to keep alive, in a plastic humidity dome with open ventilation holes up top. I also have a container of water to add more humidity. This setup works for humidity but the grow lamp (tried LED and also CFL) doesn't make enough heat and temperatures are around 20 to 21 degrees C.

I don't have a ton of space to work with (see pic). How do I create optimal conditions for both temperature and humidity in this space? Also, what's the optimal temperature and humidity to aim for?
Attachments:
20220606_074104.jpg
20220606_074104.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 5873 times
By specialkayme
felinefancier87 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pmHow do I create optimal conditions for both temperature and humidity in this space?
I hate to be "that guy", but you can't create optimal conditions for both temperature and humidity for a nepenthes bical in that space. If you were to create good temp and humidity in that space, the bical would outgrow it in weeks. It's a vining plant.

But, theoretically speaking, N. bicalcarata is found at elevations of between 0 and 700 meters.
This range equates to temperatures of approximately 29 - 34°C (83 - 93°F) during the day, and 19 - 24°C (65 - 75°F) at night. Those day temps are not really suited well for a desktop dome. Nepenthes generally like it humid. I target 75% RH during the day and 95% at night (although I grow highlands more than lowlands).

For cephalotus, optimal temperatures in summer during the daytime are around 77-86 degrees Fahrenheit (25-30 Celsius). But they can also survive hotter days, with temperatures ranging from 90-104 Fahrenheit (32-40 Celsius). To make matters worse, cephalotus typically enjoy colder winters. The temperature in winter ideally should not be higher than 68 degrees F (20 degrees Celsius). Ideal temperatures are between 50-68 degrees F (10-20 degrees Celsius). In comparison, bical does not enjoy colder winter temps.

At best, you might be able to keep both of the alive for a few weeks while using a seedling heat pad to increase the temp some.

Sorry.
By felinefancier87
So you're saying there's no way to heat up the enclosure effectively, even by buying a small terrarium or something?

In an indoor setting what's the best way to make them individually happy?
By specialkayme
felinefancier87 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:38 pm So you're saying there's no way to heat up the enclosure effectively, even by buying a small terrarium or something?
You can heat up the enclosure you have, yes. You need to make sure you're creating a warm, humid environment and not a solar oven though. Smaller spaces are much quicker to react to increases in temperature and humidity, meaning it's harder to dial in a temperature, easier to overheat the space, put the plant in shock or fry it. But if you are successful, the plant will outgrow it's conditions very quickly.

You can get a small terrarium if you'd like. It will take it longer to outgrow a small terrarium than it will to outgrow a humidity dome. But it's still a relatively short period of time. Depends on what you consider "success."
felinefancier87 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:38 pmIn an indoor setting what's the best way to make them individually happy?
Two different setups that match the conditions I outlined above.
By felinefancier87
Could you please send me links or examples of the items I would need in each case? A seedling heat pad?

I would imagine that a small terrarium would be longer term right? What kind of product would I be looking at? Does it come with a heat lamp? If not, what lamp would I need to get? I've never used a proper terrarium before.
By specialkayme
felinefancier87 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:29 pm Could you please send me links or examples of the items I would need in each case?
I'm not really sure what you're looking for me to provide. I'm suggesting it is not realistically possible. So I'm not suggesting any examples of items to do anything.
felinefancier87 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:29 pmA seedling heat pad?
https://www.amazon.com/certified-Seedfa ... 225&sr=8-5
felinefancier87 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:29 pmI would imagine that a small terrarium would be longer term right?
No.

The plant will outgrow your current space in a matter of weeks once it starts growing. You can give it a bigger space, and it may grow it out in a matter of months, depending on the size.

It's kind of like bringing home a puppy you found in an alley and promising your mom you will keep it in your shoe box under your bed. The puppy won't like living in the shoe box, and will soon be too large to live under your bed. It wants a back yard to run around in. Same thing with your bical.
felinefancier87 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:29 pm What kind of product would I be looking at? Does it come with a heat lamp? If not, what lamp would I need to get? I've never used a proper terrarium before.
AT BEST you can try and create some sort of indoor terrarium. The larger the better. There are groups that build them out of IKEA furniture. There's a reddit group dedicated to that, as well as a facebook group. To the best of my knowledge, there aren't many people on here that do that sort of thing.

Again, I'm suggesting this is not possible. I have no products to provide, and I'm not suggesting you do anything.
By felinefancier87
Can't I just prune it when it gets too big, or try to train it onto a small trellis? I mean, the whole reason I got the plant was to see it develop pitchers. I almost killed it in the first 24 hours from direct sunlight, and now it's starting to recover, but its optimal conditions have not been reached.
By Sundews69
The problem is, when the plant is mature, it will have a leaf span of up to 6 ft. You can't really prune back the leaf size. also, if you prune it when it vines, it will be very unhappy with you.
By thepitchergrower
Your best bet is to get a large terrarium or greenhouse where you can use a humidifier, while providing the right light, humidity, and space for the plant for long term.
By felinefancier87
Can you use a reptile terrarium for plants? What should I look for in the terrarium? I assume it should be glass as well instead of plastic?
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!