FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I propagated a Pinguicula Gigantea a while ago and it's been growing really well! This is my first time growing one, so I'm not sure what they look like when they're in the smaller phase.

For some reason, mine is starting to grow really tall and is tipping over. Is this normal for a young plant? Does it eventually just get wider and I have to resituate it when the old leaves die off at the bottom?

By Sundews69
thepitchergrower wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:59 pm Etiolation maybe?
That's what I think. Also, what soil is that potted in? It looks a bit to organic and peaty. I think it should be ok for now, but when you repot it, give if either more perlite or sand in the mix. You can also use no peat and just perlite and sand.
Nikson liked this
By thepitchergrower
Sundews69 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:01 pm
Also, what soil is that potted in? It looks a bit to organic and peaty. I think it should be ok for now, but when you repot it, give if either more perlite or sand in the mix. You can also use no peat and just perlite and sand.
From what I can see (or think I can see), the mix has a decent amount of mineral in it. :?
Nikson liked this
By Sundews69
thepitchergrower wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:03 pm
Also, what soil is that potted in? It looks a bit to organic and peaty. I think it should be ok for now, but when you repot it, give if either more perlite or sand in the mix. You can also use no peat and just perlite and sand.
From what I can see (or think I can see), the mix has a decent amount of mineral in it. :?
I don't really see a lot of drainage material in there. Maybe I'm just half blind, but I'm not sure. We'll see what @Nikson says.
By Sundews69
Sundews69 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:06 pm
thepitchergrower wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:03 pm
I don't really see a lot of drainage material in there. Maybe I'm just half blind, but I'm not sure. We'll see what @Nikson says.
And maybe it is just the color of the peat.
By Nikson
The medium is one part peat, one part vermiculite, one part sand, one part perlite! My other pings have been growing like weeds in that mix.

I have it sitting in a south facing window so it gets some sun, but should I put it under a growlight instead? I've got plenty of growlights downstairs where my shelf is.
By Sundews69
Nikson wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:14 pm The medium is one part peat, one part vermiculite, one part sand, one part perlite! My other pings have been growing like weeds in that mix.

I have it sitting in a south facing window so it gets some sun, but should I put it under a growlight instead? I've got plenty of growlights downstairs where my shelf is.
Ok, that mix is fine. Ho many hours of direct sun does that window get?
By Nikson
I honesty don't know, but it's south facing so it gets sunlight all day? But I think only a few hours of the day does it get like, DIRECT sunlight coming through and hitting the plant, it mostly looks like indirect sunlight throughout the day.

Based on what you guys are saying, it sounds like it just isn't getting enough light, so I moved it under my growlights with my other plants.

It's still next to a south facing window, but the lights are on a 12 hour timer, so I think that should fix any problems with Etiolation.

Will the plant eventually "fix" itself and rebalance itself? Or will I need to wait for it to grow like new roots and rebalance it?

By Nikson
Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep you up to date once I have it under the growlights for a while. I guess it eventually will grow aerial roots or something and I can start repotting it or something?

I would consider taking it outside but my deck basically is blasted by the sun nonstop all day and its even destroyed by sundews, so I think I'll just keep it inside for now lol.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!