FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By thepitchergrower
Intheswamp wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:24 pm
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:36 pm Remember to keep the sundews under high humidity until they re-booger... dang. Santa's delivering presents on Memorial Day weekend?
I think they're in pretty good shape. The peat mix seems to be good and moist this morning...I'm hoping I didn't overdo the extra peat in the mix but I sense my flytraps dry out too quick at the top while there's still moisture down below...but past the depth of the roots. :?

Here's a shot of the mix that I used, it looks ok to me...???IMG_4843 (Custom).JPG
Even if they are still in good shape, I would suggest keeping them under a humidity dome. Usually they need time to adjust to your conditions, and recover from shipping shock. Just my suggestion... Soil mix looks fine.
By Intheswamp
Sunlight... Should they be in limited light for a while? @thepitchergrower , I'll look into rigging up a dome for them. Are you talking about all of the plants or just the sundews?
By thepitchergrower
Just the sundews. I would keep them in less light (maybe filtered through a south facing window). If you keep them outside in full sun, you risk over heating them or getting sunburned...
ChefDean wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:19 pm Tough love for Flytraps, they bounce back better. Drosera are like the wimpy kid that always got picked last in gym class, you gotta baby them.
By Intheswamp
I'm entering a hairpin learning curve, I'm afraid. So the pitchers can handle full sun but the sundews need open shade (not direct sun). Is this just for acclimation or from here on out???

Here is what I came up with for a humdity dome. All these are outside. The high temperature today was 85F, but it will continue to rise into the low-90's by first of the week. Should all of the sundews come inside? Leave the pitchers outside?

Here's my answer to a humidity dome...still plenty of air passing beneath so I'm not sure if it's raising the humidity under there very much but I'm a bit skiddish of reducing airflow much more than this with the heat outside. :?
IMG_7613a (Custom).JPG
IMG_7613a (Custom).JPG (211.97 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
I suppose it might be some protection against critters, too.
By Carnies
Do not use a humidity dome outside, if you have grow lights or a really sunny windowsill I suggest bringing the sundews inside or let them get acclimated outside. The pitchers should be fine outside.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Carnies wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:55 pm Do not use a humidity dome outside, if you have grow lights or a really sunny windowsill I suggest bringing the sundews inside or let them get acclimated outside. The pitchers should be fine outside.
Thanks, Carnies. I'll forgo the humidity dome outside. The greenhouse effect is one reason for the raised dome...I just didn't trust the dappled shade that I moved them over to. Do I need to go easy on full sunlight for a few days on both the pitchers and sundews, or just the sundews and let the pitchers go ahead and have full sun?
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!