FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By cpnewbie
Hello my Carnivorous plant sistren and brethren. I know this topic always come to light every now and then. Is one of the most efficient ways to cooling an Exo Terra (24x24x48) by an Aqua Chiller or is there some new technology i'm oblivious about? Through my research, the Aqua Chiller may be best for me, but I'm ambiguous on how to actually set it up. Any tutorials or links anyone can share, please?

Attached are some of the items I think I may need for this type of set up. I currently have an Ikea glass cabinet greenhouse set up, https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/milsbo-gla ... -30396448/

Upper chamber's day temps are about 75-80, night temps are around 65-68 (I'd love to get in the mid 50s). Humidity around 80-95%.
Lower chamber's day temps are about the same, and the night temps are as well, but the humidity is about 70-80%.

I'll be sure to take some pictures. Anyways, I want to move my babies (highlands) into their new home. Any assistance is highly appreciated! You can even send me a private message if you'd like.

Happy Growings and thanks for viewing!
Attachments:
Cooling stuff.JPG
Cooling stuff.JPG (143.81 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
By Sundews69
Where did you find this Exo Terra aqua cooler? I really want to grow highlanders, but my conditions aren't right. This could be a solution. Would you mind putting a link?
By cpnewbie
Sorry, maybe I didn't type it correctly, but I am looking into a cooling system set up for my Highland plants. I believe a Aquarium Chiller would be the best way to go, however, I am unsure on how to put one together. There really isn't a tutorial video or anything that I can go off of other than peoples video's/messages that they completed it.

TLDR: I am looking for a to cool down a 24x24x48 Exo Terra at night.

https://www.wayfair.com/pet/pdp/reptizo ... z1024.html
By NightRaider
John W wrote:Peltier cooling system, there is a post on this forum explaining how to do it for cheap I was just looking at as I am searching for something similar, but for a smaller grow tent.
Peltier wouldn't do it in this case, the efficiency just isn't there. The general rule I've seen is 1 unit per 10 gallons, and that's for relatively insulated enclosures iirc. A 24x24x48in tank would be ~120 gallons, and since each peltier chip runs ~60 watts it would come out to a ridiculous electricity cost even after dropping several hundred $$ on the units themselves. Might as well just buy a commercial water chiller at that point.

Ik this is an older thread, but I'll link what I'm about to attempt to do to solve the same issue. Actually, I may take pictures and do a write-up and everything afterward if it goes well, since there's almost no other information on it out there even though it seems like a pretty good solution for cooling larger enclosures w/o a humidity drop and avoids the wasted vertical space and frankly poor aesthetics of just using a chest freezer. Window A/C unit water chiller conversion
John W liked this
By Sundews69
When I tried to use a Peltier cooler off Amazon, it only brought the temp up to like 86 degrees (according to the cheap temp reader from who knows where). What Peltier cooler do you use? Do you have a link?
By specialkayme
The "go to" methods that you're looking for are:

1. An evaporative cooler (https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/equ ... cooling%2f) - expensive and not great on a small scale.
2. The chest cooler system (https://www.carnivorousplants.co.uk/res ... nepenthes/) - I've seen people that build contraptions onto chest freezers of all sorts - let your google searches amaze you.
3. A water cooled system (typically an acquarium chiller, or sometimes a glycol chiller used in homebrew) attached to a heat exchanger (https://www.htgsupply.com/products/6-in ... exchanger/) that pushes air via a fan through the heat exchanger.

Neither are cheap or easy on a small scale though.
Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!