FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By michijake
I've been having a lot of fun with one of my VFT propagation experiments recently and wanted to share. One of my typicals started making a flower stalk late last summer, so I snipped it and put it in sphagnum moss, hoping to propagate it. Not only did it strike, but on January 5 I discovered that the stalk had also produced false vivipary, months after snipping it from the plant!
tempImagepTzewE.gif
tempImagepTzewE.gif (5.43 MiB) Viewed 2823 times
I removed the false vivipary and planted it in the sphagnum as well. Apparently it was not content to just grow its tiny self into a mature plant, it decided to just go ahead and make the tiniest flower stalk I had ever seen on February 10:
tempImageIJELgr.gif
tempImageIJELgr.gif (4.35 MiB) Viewed 2823 times
As adorable as it tiny, tiny flowers would have been, I didn't think it was a good idea to let such a wee plant use that much energy, no matter how precocious it considered itself. I did however figure I might as well try propagating it.
And whaddya know, the tiniest flower stalk has struck, and is now growing an even smaller VFT!
tempImageo3aZH1.gif
tempImageo3aZH1.gif (4.82 MiB) Viewed 2823 times
Where will it all end???
MikeB, TrapsAndDews, plantnerdjules and 1 others liked this
By MikeB
If you turn that plant into a cultivar, I suggest naming it "Irrepressible" (adjective: not able to be controlled or restrained).
By michijake
MikeB wrote:If you turn that plant into a cultivar, I suggest naming it "Irrepressible" (adjective: not able to be controlled or restrained).
Oh good idea. When the plants mature, it will be interesting to see if they're especially prone to false vivipary or clumping.
By michijake
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:That's insane. I know it would probably stunt the plant horribly but I wonder if anyone has ever let a tiny flytrap flower. Would it even work?
I'm curious about that as well, if the next generation of this beast flowers I'm tempted to let it be and see what happens.

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!