FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By DragonsEye
elaineo wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:38 amWait, really??? Do you use Hydroton + peat for sarrs & neps? This is so cool. I will be very happy if I can stop buying perlite. Turface is just like hydroton, but with smaller particle size, right?
Hydroton (LECA) might be harder than Turface and I believe has more large air pockets in it. Also it won't pack down as much as Turface.

For Neps (or orchids) I usually use Hydroton + bark/coconut husk chunks + sphag. But "usually" is the operative word here as it depends on what I have on hand. If I have wine corks on hand, I may make use of those instead.

Similar situation for Sarrs except I do use peat with them instead of sphag. The only time I have used Turface with Sarrs is when starting seeds and then it is a Turface + peat blend.

Do be careful when choosing Turface substitutes. (I have known folks who gave clay based kitty litter a try. They found that it turns to mush rather quickly making it unsuitable.)

If you can find Growstone, it is a good replacement for perlite. It is made from recycled glass that is whipped into a frothy foam while in a liquid state before being allowed to cool. It is stronger and heavier than perlite.

You can also look at using turkey or chicken grit (those are 2 different sizes) found at feed stores. It is granite which will be inert. Just make sure it hasn't been coated with calcium (some brands will do that).
elaineo liked this
By Apollyon
It probably is MVP, I use that as well and its a small particle size. Was fairly cheap too at the time.
By KategoricalKarnivore
For Mexican pings I use 1:1 Turface:silica sand. They love it. Never tried with Drosera but cacti and succulents love it too.
By Apollyon
Turface is definitely underrated. It makes a great ingredient for simple root system plants. I've used it with Drosera Regia and sometimes as an ingredient in other plants if I want retention and drainage without destroying the bank trying to buy akadama.
By elaineo
After a month on hydroton, this guy is about to put out its first flower! I added the lfsm because it looked like it was kinda too dry at first. It’s in a shallow bean dip dish with a nylon wick going into a tub of water below.
CFA92079-4AC1-427E-9B3B-D10F963BD0FF.jpeg
CFA92079-4AC1-427E-9B3B-D10F963BD0FF.jpeg (108.4 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
DragonsEye liked this
By madrone
elaineo wrote:After a month on hydroton
Neat set-up. I need to try more media experimentation - this one is a new one to me!
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
I'd never heard of hydroton before this thread but I can see it being useful for a couple different plants
By madrone
It's also called LECA (lightweight expanded clay aggregate). Personally, I've used it for semi-hydro set-ups or as an adder into soil mixes for terrestrial plants, but I haven't seen it used for CPs. Cool to see elaineo's success with it for a ping set-up.
elaineo liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!