FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By michijake
So say, hypothetically, that you attempted to divide your S. psittacina var. okefenokeensis f. luteoviridis but somehow managed to separate a growth point with no roots attached. And say you let it sit in a pot with some soil scrunched around it for about a month in hopes that roots would grow, but none did. Would it be a good idea to try root hormone powder? I’ve only heard of using root hormone on nepenthes cuttings but not on other CPs.
By za419
From what I, hypothetically, may or may not have heard, rooting theoretically doesn't really help or hinder sarracenia in situations like this. They don't really need it, the rhizome will figure it out on its own... But you can apply it if you want to try and encourage it a little.
By michijake
za419 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:44 am From what I, hypothetically, may or may not have heard, rooting theoretically doesn't really help or hinder sarracenia in situations like this. They don't really need it, the rhizome will figure it out on its own... But you can apply it if you want to try and encourage it a little.
I see, very interesting. In this (entirely imaginary) scenario, the growing point does seem to be very slowly producing more growth, so perhaps I will wait and see what may or may not happen without the hormone.
By za419
That hypothetically sounds like it could be a good idea. As long as a rhizome is healthy enough to grow, it would likely notice on its own that it isn't happy with how many roots it has and do something about that situation.

Theoretically, of course.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Just leave it alone. It’ll grow some roots if it is going to. If you have some live sphagnum put it in the moss. That’s the best media to help Sarracenia recover when they have no roots.
By steve booth
KategoricalKarnivore- Just leave it alone. It’ll grow some roots if it is going to. If you have some live sphagnum put it in the moss. That’s the best media to help Sarracenia recover when they have no roots.

Agreed 100% - the smaller they are the longer it takes, but they nearly all do. Sphagnum is the answer to a lot of CP problems.
Cheers
Steve
By michijake
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Unfortunately, I made the poor decision to place the tiny plant (which had one miniscule emerging pitcher but no roots) in a propagating chamber with live sphagnum, but with basically no ventilation.

And that was the end for baby psittacina :(

Oh well, at least the plant I separated it from seems to be doing fine. And now I know not to take chances with my rarer cultivars, especially without having much experience separating Sarracenia.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!