FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
What are the requirements for growing sundews outdoors? Are there certain temperatures, wind speeds, and humidity levels that I should watch out for? Do sundews need hardening off, and if so, is the process the same as for flytraps?
By That one plant boi
Depends on the species. Temperate dews, like filiformis, Tracyi, etc, can pretty much be grown like flytraps. Tropical and more light sensitive dews will need different care, such as Adelea and other more sensitive plants.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TrapsAndDews liked this
By Shadowtski
TrapsAndDews wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:08 pm What are the requirements for growing sundews outdoors? Are there certain temperatures, wind speeds, and humidity levels that I should watch out for? Do sundews need hardening off, and if so, is the process the same as for flytraps?
WWW.GrowSundews.com is a great resource of specie-specific information f or growing Sundews inside and out.
Different types of Drosera have different requirements.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By TrapsAndDews
thepitchergrower wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:22 pm What are the condition in your area? As long as you have enough sun, low humidity (30 % or lower) usually isn't a problem. My plants continue to produce dew at 23% (lowest so far).
I don't remember how low the humidity gets, but I think it's just as low as yours.
Shadowtski wrote:WWW.GrowSundews.com is a great resource of specie-specific information f or growing Sundews inside and out.
Different types of Drosera have different requirements.
Thank you. I've used this website before, but I forgot they had a page on growing sundews outdoors.
By optique
6A should be fine for the more northern sundews. Southern sundews may needs some protection.

i had to protect the new growth on mine last night, check out my sundew cart.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By thepitchergrower
D. Filiformis 'Dreamsicle' and D. Intermedia (Brunswick county nc) produced dew at ≤20 % humidity. Capensis and Binata 'marston dragon' as well.

Growth seems to be slower at lower humidity... or so I've observed. :?
By TrapsAndDews
optique wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:04 pm 6A should be fine for the more northern sundews. Southern sundews may needs some protection.

i had to protect the new growth on mine last night, check out my sundew cart.
What drosera species are northern? I'm not really worried about freezing temperatures because I take my plants inside during those nights. I'm more concerned with hot, dry, and windy weather.
By optique
TrapsAndDews wrote:What drosera species are northern? I'm not really worried about freezing temperatures because I take my plants inside during those nights. I'm more concerned with hot, dry, and windy weather.
Just look for location data the New Jersey stuff should be good for 6a (I am guessing) but i am sure the Nova Scotia sundews would be ok.
thepitchergrower liked this
By thepitchergrower
optique wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:32 am
TrapsAndDews wrote:What drosera species are northern? I'm not really worried about freezing temperatures because I take my plants inside during those nights. I'm more concerned with hot, dry, and windy weather.
Just look for location data the New Jersey stuff should be good for 6a (I am guessing) but i am sure the Nova Scotia sundews would be ok.
So most of the temperate sundews? Filiformis/tracyi, intermedia, rotundifolia, x hybrida, etc?
By MikeB
thepitchergrower wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:42 am So most of the temperate sundews? Filiformis/tracyi, intermedia, rotundifolia, x hybrida, etc?
Add anglica to that list. I'm not too sure about tracyi since it's a north-Florida plant, and that area is fairly humid even in the winter. It grows fine for me here in eastern North Carolina. Then again, the humidity here reaches 90%+ on some summer evenings (moisture condenses on the outside of the sliding-glass door because the glass is cooled by the air conditioning in the house).
By thepitchergrower
MikeB wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:40 am
Add anglica to that list. I'm not too sure about tracyi since it's a north-Florida plant, and that area is fairly humid even in the winter. It grows fine for me here in eastern North Carolina. Then again, the humidity here reaches 90%+ on some summer evenings (moisture condenses on the outside of the sliding-glass door because the glass is cooled by the air conditioning in the house).
Thank you MikeB! :D
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!