FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

My pinguicula Gigantea that I got online has been SO happy with the growing conditions I've been giving it, and it's even flowered recently! I decided I wanted to try propagating it for the first time, so I read some guides and pulled one of the newer leaves off and put it in a ziplock bag with a water soaked cotton ball for some humidity.

Everything look good? I pulled down on the leaf and wiggled it back and forth and got pretty much all of it off. It left a litttttle of itself back on the plant (the little notch on the bottom right), but I think it's good?

By tib777
It should be good, I've read that the ziploc method works well. It would've been better to get that last little piece of the leaf that attaches to the base as that's usually where the new plant grows. Yours still might grow without that part since it was only a little that stayed on the plant. I just did leaf pullings on ALL my pings in one day lol it's been 3 days. I used LFS in one of those food storage containers with the lid 3/4 closed and the part of the leaf that attaches to the base of the plant touching the moist LFS for humidity. It's my first time trying to propogate pings also.

I would like to see an update if yours grows! They say it takes around a month to see leaves so it takes a lot of patience :roll:
By Nikson
Yeah I THINK I got most of the part that attaches to the base, but I'm not entirely sure lol. Like when I look at the plant where I pulled the leaf off, it looks like I got most of it, maybe like a little tiny bit is still there, not all of it. I only pulled one leaf off for now, since the other leaves seem to be covered in gnats right now!

I was thinking about doing what you did as well, with the LFSM in a container, but decided to try out the ziplock method since I read a lot of people say its the easiest way to do it? No idea what I'm doing though haha.

And yeah I want to see yours too!
By Apollyon
Having healthy, fed leaves overall seems to give good success. I've never done that ziplock trick but I imagine it would work out fine. Key is keeping moisture locked in to prevent it from drying out. I've done moss in the past and it's worked fine but most of the time I keep them in closed off prop trays in the soil I intend them to grow in. Best way to learn is by doing. If it doesn't work, try using some kind of media as a base.
Nikson liked this
By tib777
Same here, first time also. Like apollyon said I think the key is keeping moisture locked in, but without so much that it rots. Here’s mine at day 4 from pullings:
A4FE91DB-FBC5-4151-9B04-1143C38FF309.jpeg
A4FE91DB-FBC5-4151-9B04-1143C38FF309.jpeg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 9635 times
413C81DB-E613-45BC-B68D-ACB83E4E136C.jpeg
413C81DB-E613-45BC-B68D-ACB83E4E136C.jpeg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 9635 times
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Apollyon wrote:Having healthy, fed leaves overall seems to give good success. I've never done that ziplock trick but I imagine it would work out fine. Key is keeping moisture locked in to prevent it from drying out. I've done moss in the past and it's worked fine but most of the time I keep them in closed off prop trays in the soil I intend them to grow in. Best way to learn is by doing. If it doesn't work, try using some kind of media as a base.
Yeah, the leaves were nice fat and healthy! The plant ate SO many gnats, like I think it literally eradicated the entire fungus gnat problem in my household! I was just wondering if it was important how "much" leaf you pull out. I saw some guides that were like "pull until you get part of the rhizome out, it's a white part on the leaf" but I seem to have pulled out the entire leaf to the point I can see roots coming out where I pulled them out, and it doesn't have that same whiteness.

I pulled a second one out yesterday night just to have another one along side my main one and see if I would get different results, and it looks the same.
By Lain
I've tried the ziploc method, perlite method, sphaghnum moss method and failed at all those. For me what worked was a leaf fell off when potting and so I left it right next to the parent ping and as the ping grew larger it kinda shaded it and I forgot about it. Couple months later I noticed a tiny green little nub peeking out!

Of course like always what works for me doesn't necessarily work for others. I'm sure you'll do fine! Can't wait to see the babies.
By Apollyon
Don't worry too much about the roots. if you pulled off some to where a root came with it, it definitely has a portion of the rhizome. it's hard to describe how to pull them out. Wiggling with a little pressure seems to work out well. I personally brace the plant a little bit because I usually overdo it. If you can pull off a leaf to where it tapers off towards a "point" you're fine. The rhizome is where the clone will grow from but I've seen cyclosecta grow on the leaf itself. weird stuff.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Apollyon wrote:Don't worry too much about the roots. if you pulled off some to where a root came with it, it definitely has a portion of the rhizome. it's hard to describe how to pull them out. Wiggling with a little pressure seems to work out well. I personally brace the plant a little bit because I usually overdo it. If you can pull off a leaf to where it tapers off towards a "point" you're fine. The rhizome is where the clone will grow from but I've seen cyclosecta grow on the leaf itself. weird stuff.
It's a success! I'm honestly shocked at how fast that was! Do I just wait for the mother leaf to wither up and for the plant to start growing roots before I move it out of the bag? What kind of growing medium should I move it to, and do I need to keep it sealed in a humidity dome to acclimate like other plants?

By Nikson
Hendre wrote:Well done! I should try this with my gigantea hybrid :D
You should! I'm honestly shocked how easy it was. I thought I'd need like a grow chamber or something, but nah. Literally just put some leaves in a ziploc bag with a cotton ball soaked wet and that's it.
Hendre liked this
By Apollyon
I'm kind of on the fence. Honestly I had a gigantea leaf that fell off outside while doing repots and I left it out there (unknowingly) and it chose to prop itself with nothing but relative humidity like a succulent. Granted I'm in Florida. I literally put it outside in partial sun as an experiment on top of LFS with my flytraps as a total experiment and it's still alive months later just chilling with the VFT.

If it was my one shot and I wanted to be *sure* I would transplant it soon into media. Just pop it on top if there are no roots. Keep it in humidity to let it get its bearings without risking it drying out and then remove it when you start seeing real growth.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Apollyon wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:29 pm I'm kind of on the fence. Honestly I had a gigantea leaf that fell off outside while doing repots and I left it out there (unknowingly) and it chose to prop itself with nothing but relative humidity like a succulent. Granted I'm in Florida. I literally put it outside in partial sun as an experiment on top of LFS with my flytraps as a total experiment and it's still alive months later just chilling with the VFT.

If it was my one shot and I wanted to be *sure* I would transplant it soon into media. Just pop it on top if there are no roots. Keep it in humidity to let it get its bearings without risking it drying out and then remove it when you start seeing real growth.
Sounds good! Also I noticed it seems like there's 2 plants growing out of each leaf super close, do I just plant them anyways, or do I have to break them apart?
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!