FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Supercazzola
I want to use
IMG_5827.jpeg
IMG_5827.jpeg (3.1 MiB) Viewed 6549 times
for some Sarracenia and wanted to ask if I should line this barrel with some 5 mil plastic and then put some drainage holes about 1 to 1-1/2 inches above the bottom (along the sides of the barrel)?
Or would it be ok to just use the wood against the growing media? I would plug the hole at the bottom, though...

It’s Acadia wood, and it appears to be untreated.
By Panman
I have tried using wooden supports to raise my pots out of the water in the past but it seems to negatively impact the plants but it may have to do with the fact that it was submerged in water. Or, it might have been the wood that I was using. I have seen where someone has made floating wood boxes that they grow their plants in on their pond. Personally, I would line it or seal it with polyurethane.
Supercazzola, MikeB liked this
By Supercazzola
So now I just have to plant some of my extras in it. I’m thinking tall Sarracenia toward the back. Some lower ground hugging purps toward the front, and then maybe some typical VFT between the two. Then I’m honing to sprinkle the left over seeds from any sundew I have and let them fill in the blank space.

Thoughts ?
Attachments:
AA75F92D-B113-4AA4-A9DE-F90C61D5C7CE.jpeg
AA75F92D-B113-4AA4-A9DE-F90C61D5C7CE.jpeg (4.91 MiB) Viewed 6395 times
Panman liked this
By Ewreck
Whoa that came out super clean looking. Nice job. I def wanna see what it looks like once all the dews grow in. So you used like some flex seal type stuff to line the inside? And do you just top water it?
By Supercazzola
Ewreck wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:31 pm Whoa that came out super clean looking. Nice job. I def wanna see what it looks like once all the dews grow in. So you used like some flex seal type stuff to line the inside? And do you just top water it?
I used 5 - 6 coats of polyurethane to line the inside as well as waterproof the outside. I drilled a few smaller sized holes above the bottom so that if a ton of water came down, it wouldn’t overflow. I am not worried about losing grow media since I put LFSM in front of the drain holes.
Ewreck liked this
By Supercazzola
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:47 pm While relaxing in the pool, you can admire your Sarracenia! :D
The kids already know that they are not to splash water from the pool into the container. I may eventually move it to the outside where there are more bugs, but for the time being, it’s staying put. A nice unplanned side effect is the pool creates a small microclimate. The temperature just around it can be a few degrees warmer than if in the open backyard.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!