FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
So I was looking for a nice cheaper alternative to a MarsHydro TS600 and I found this for just $40:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B087JKDVTF

It looks like a legit product which has almost identical (if not a clone) specs to the TS600, but for only half the price. What do you guys think? Kinda suspicious to me at the same time.
By elaineo
MarsHydro sells a lot of identical lights under different names. If you buy from the "MarsHydro" brand on Amazon, it'll come with a warranty and better customer service, but the off-brands are the exact same product made by the same manufacturer. They literally just slap a different sticker on the side. One of the MarsHydro customer service reps discussed this on a marijuana forum, but I can't seem to find the thread anymore.
By MaxVft
elaineo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:47 am MarsHydro sells a lot of identical lights under different names.
Does this mean I can potentially buy this light with similar results to its 'sister', MarsHydro?
By specialkayme
MaxVft wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:30 am Does this mean I can potentially buy this light with similar results to its 'sister', MarsHydro?
Yes.

I wasn't aware that MarsHydro itself was selling multiple lights under different brands. Instead, I was under the impression that MarsHydro is outsourcing manufacturing of it's lights to a Chinese company. China doesn't care about intellectual property rights, and regularly ignores cease & desist letters and lawsuit demands alleging infractions of patents, copyrights, or worse confidentiality agreements. So, I was under the impression that MarsHydro contracted for, lets say, 2,000 units to be produced from a Chinese company, without any branding on the lights, but the company produced 2,500 units. They sell the 500 "extra" units to whoever wants them, who in turn puts whatever sticker they want on the side.

But honestly, most of these manufacturers use the same components (SAMSUNG diodes, although some use different drivers, and assembly is often sometimes hit or miss, although it isn't complicated to put these together), even if they don't look that similar. The only question is how good is their marketing and customer service team. The "knock offs" brands often don't produce as much easily identifiable information about light specs and output, making it harder to compare.
By elaineo
We don't know for sure if this is one of MarsHydro's generic brands, but if the specs are the same, it will probably do what you want. I have a MarsHydro ts600 that burned out, and they immediately sent me a replacement. To me, the 3 year warranty is worth it. If you are patient, the ts600 often goes on sale in the ~$65 range.
Supercazzola, Apollyon liked this
By MaxVft
elaineo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:43 pm We don't know for sure if this is one of MarsHydro's generic brands, but if the specs are the same, it will probably do what you want. I have a MarsHydro ts600 that burned out, and they immediately sent me a replacement. To me, the 3 year warranty is worth it. If you are patient, the ts600 often goes on sale in the ~$65 range.
Yeah, this Black Friday I'm gonna see if any of their lights go on sale...

I dont think this is an EXACT copy of MarsHydro, since it has a dimmer. But if I wanted to buy more, I wouldn't be able to daisy chain them.
elaineo liked this
By MaxVft
Just recieved the light linked in the OP, and it's awesome!
Very strong lights, and when I recieved it it was super heavy, all steel and not plastic. The quality and brightness of this light really surprised me with the 40 dollar price tag, and I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't have the budget for a pricy MarsHydro.
I will post pics as soon as I get home.
By MikeB
That light panel has dropped to $35. :shock: It's almost as cheap as a SANSI 36W grow light bulb. Does it happen to have a UL certification?
By MaxVft
MikeB wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:06 pm That light panel has dropped to $35. :shock: It's almost as cheap as a SANSI 36W grow light bulb. Does it happen to have a UL certification?
... I'm not home right now, but I believe there was a UL sticker on the label. I will send pics when I get home.
By Dan V
I have this light and it is perfect for a 2X2' grow tent/box. Suspended around 16 +/_ inches above your plants with 14 to 16 hours of on time you will have a 20+ DLI. The dimmer isn't the best but I'm running the light at 100% power. I did place a small usb fan to blow across the top of the driver, but I don't think it's necessary as it doesn't get that hot.
Attachments:
BLOOMSPECT SL600 LED Grow Light in 2X2" grow
BLOOMSPECT SL600 LED Grow Light in 2X2" grow
20220113_105044.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 7291 times
By DUB-C
I'm currently running two Bestva Pro 1000W Full Spectrum Quantum LED Grow Lights. The max coverage is 2'x3'. They are $100 a piece on there website. I got mine on Amazon when they were on sale for $70 a piece. I have to say to date they are the best I've had so far. They are dimmable so you can play around with height and intensity. Great quality too. Should give them a look.
By Dragonslayer126
MikeB wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:06 pm That light panel has dropped to $35. :shock: It's almost as cheap as a SANSI 36W grow light bulb. Does it happen to have a UL certification?
I use sansi

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!