FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Bill Phoenix
since i bough pellets and don't have a purpurea or rosea, is it ok to put some in the pots of sarracenia seeds? if so, how many and how deep? thnx
By Dragonslayer126
Bill Phoenix wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:53 pm since i bough pellets and don't have a purpurea or rosea, is it ok to put some in the pots of sarracenia seeds? if so, how many and how deep? thnx
Very bad idea. It will just put nutrients in the soil. And if you have them outside when they are sprouted you don't need it since they catch a lot of insects.
By thepitchergrower
Seedlings won't catch insects for about the first year. Just FYI. Do as Adrien says.
By MikeB
Dragonslayer126 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:44 pm Very bad idea. It will just put nutrients in the soil. And if you have them outside when they are sprouted you don't need it since they catch a lot of insects.
Actually not. Juvenile Sarracenia benefit from a little fertilizer. Take a look at this article:

Sarracenia Soil Fertilization
https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/ ... aceniasoil
By Adrien
MikeB wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:04 am
Dragonslayer126 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:44 pm Very bad idea. It will just put nutrients in the soil. And if you have them outside when they are sprouted you don't need it since they catch a lot of insects.
Actually not. Juvenile Sarracenia benefit from a little fertilizer. Take a look at this article:

Yeah they do! You should see Matt’s 1 year old sarracenia, it’s ridiculous compared to 2 year old sarrs that haven’t ever been fertilized!
thepitchergrower liked this
By thepitchergrower
Adrien wrote:
MikeB wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:04 am

Yeah they do! You should see Matt’s 1 year old sarracenia, it’s ridiculous compared to 2 year old sarrs that haven’t ever been fertilized!
Juvenile sarracenia love the soil fertilization. Apparently someone managed to get flowers on a 2 year old plant with fertilization.
By ChefDean
thepitchergrower wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:23 pmJuvenile sarracenia love the soil fertilization. Apparently someone managed to get flowers on a 2 year old plant with fertilization.
I've heard that too. I got some seedlings last year that have some great potential, and I'm going to Maxsea the crap out of one of each cross this year and see how it turns out. Last year, their first, I had 14 inch pitchers on one.
By Panman
ChefDean wrote:I'm going to Maxsea the crap out of one of each cross this year and see how it turns out.
Are you filling pitchers or root fertilizing? I am thinking of either injecting Maxsea below the moss surface, to avoid algae, or using it in the water tray. I mostly tray water the plants, so I don't know that having pellets on the surface will help any.
By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:12 pm
ChefDean wrote:I'm going to Maxsea the crap out of one of each cross this year and see how it turns out.
Are you filling pitchers or root fertilizing? I am thinking of either injecting Maxsea below the moss surface, to avoid algae, or using it in the water tray. I mostly tray water the plants, so I don't know that having pellets on the surface will help any.
Last year, I half filled one pitcher on the smaller plants, two on the bigger ones, about every three-ish weeks. Only halfway though, I didn't want them to potentially fall over due to too much liquid in them.
This year I'll probably do the same for most, but I'll go weekly on the experiment ones.
By Panman
The problem with that thread is that there really isn't any sort of control or testing. It is, "look at this leaf jump after Maxsea." I've had plenty of leaf jumps, with and without fertilizing. Plus it says foliar feed once a month, or keeping pitchers full. Lots of anecdotal but nothing really to base a practice on.
By Adrien
From what I’ve seen, Matt makes a complex mix of all kinds of fertilizers and nutrients in RO water, up to 800ppm! He then tray waters the sarracenia with it every week I believe.
By thepitchergrower
Panman requests [insert here] + Maxsea Bonus
TrapsAndDews liked this

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!