FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By specialkayme
TrapsAndDews wrote:If I were to find a Nepenthes at Lowes, what would I need to do to revive it?
Proper growing media first and foremost. Usually they put it in sphagnum peat most (shudder). A good pot would help too.

Once you repot it, give it some distilled water, a good light source (but not too intense), and put a humidity dome over it for a month or so. Then gradually cut back on the humidity (most Lowes nepenthes don't need high humidity like some special nepenthes do, but will grow better under high humidity).

Getting a nepenthes from lowes is generally discouraged, if you want an established, flourishing plant. But, as you've seen, sometimes an established, flourishing plant costs money. The ones from Lowes are usually cheap. And sometimes you can find one a little worse for the wear and get a deep discount on it. But they take more effort to get them back to full health, and sometimes they are straight up dead in that death box they put them in, so you need to pick out a good one.

I recommend getting a cheap nepenthes to start with. $10-15 is great. If you kill it, no big deal. If you kill a $50 one it hurts (more). It would be better to get a $10-15 one from a reputable nepenthes seller, but if you don't have the additional $15-20 for quality shipping, a $10-15 lowes plant is better than no plant at all.
By TrapsAndDews
I once saw some Nepenthes at Lowes that appeared fresh and costed about $7, but that was back when I barely even knew how to take care a flytrap. I believe the brand was Gubler Orchids.
By Nepenthes0260
I do remember seeing somebody on IG who had a lowland Nepenthes tub under their bed, although, like the others said, it's probably not the safest idea. I don't know about having a growlight sealed up in a plastic tote with little/no air movement sitting under the very place I spend hours of my life every day unconscious... :lol:
thepitchergrower liked this
By Ewreck
I found the video of dudes grow chamber under his bed. It’s in a bigger tote with a lid on it. Hopefully the link works I’ve never posted a link to an IG clip before. I just wanted to show it for informational purposes. Please don’t burn your house down.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CY9Do2QB ... =copy_link
If anyone thinks this is a bad idea to re hash this idea just delete this post or let me know I’ll edit and get rid of the link.
Also you would think that all that humidity/moisture would be bad for the lights?
By Ewreck
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZwb7yUA ... =copy_link

This is the same low land chamber tote grow set up. Again wouldn’t these misters get the light all wet? I need to raise the humidity in my little grow set up but since my area is so small( light is about 24 inches from the plants and I can’t raise it any higher with my current rack that I’m using to hang the light) and I’ve been wondering if a humidifier would just spritz right into my light? If I remember right it says it is somewhat water resistant but prolly not water proof. How do you get around this? I was thinking of maybe buying one of those little diffuser things or possibly one those types that is like a stinger? It sits in a jar of water and warms up to raise temp and humidity. What’s your thoughts on this and any suggestions?
By Nepenthes0260
Tbh, that setup looks like a disaster waiting to happen IMO :lol:. Yescom lights are somewhat water resistant, although I'd imagine that being continually sprayed with water couldn't be good for them in the long run. I think it's just a matter of time until something in that setup craps out. Additionally, those neps won't be small enough to contain inside that tote for long (looking at you, rafflesiana :P)
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!