FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Grace3527
I got my first butterwort (Pinguicula primuliflora) about 2-3 weeks ago, it arrived with some browning on the leaves but seemed to be okay. Has been doing fine until a few days ago. Now within about a 3 day period theres been a sudden change and all leaves have completely died except for a stem with a bud that is still very much alive. Is this normal or is there something thats gone wrong and a way to save my plant?
By Grace3527
I will try to remember to get a picture this afternoon when i get home. 50/50 sphagnum/perlite for soil. It gets as much sun as i can give it, im in fl so it goes outside during the day and inside at night. Sits in a shallow water dish at all times.
By Panman
First, moving plants in and out during the day and night generally hurts more than it helps. I would recommend finding one place to leave it. Pings can grow pretty well in a bright, southern window. Second, you may be watering it too much, particularly in a peat/perlite mix. They like very well draining soil and on the drier side of things. I would try keeping it without the dish of water. Just water it when the top is just damp. Don't keep it soggy. Hopefully the pictures will give us a better idea.
Grace3527, tommyr liked this
By Grace3527
Thank you! I will take it out of the water tray and see if that helps
By jeff
a photo would be better.

as a substrate you can use either peat 30% river sand 70% or like me simply live sphagnum

be very careful to always keep it with a moist or even wet substrate as in the spring 'in situ' like here IN MY WEB SITE TO PHOTOS IN/EX SITU
http://fern72.free.fr/siteweb/donnees-m ... flora.html
By twitcher
Likely it is a goner. While this species generally slows down during the winter, it does will with steady conditions that do not involve it drying completely out. This variety likes damp conditions and can even survive submersed for a time. It is more sensitive during the winter than the fall. I wonder if it was exposed to severe cold during shipment before you got it. I grow mine in lfsm that is in a tray of water all the time. It is an easy ping to grow and very interesting due to its starting plants form leaf tips and possibly roots established in the fall (I see new plants emerge from areas that I did not notice any leaves the previous growing season). This was my first ping ever and turned me into a ping collector. Don't give up on it, but do give it stable conditions. Good luck with it. If it does not survive, let us know. It is worth a second try.
By tommyr
I just got 2 of these in yesterday and this time I will try growing them in LFSM. 10 years ago I killed 4 of them (in peat/perlite mix) so time to try them again. Some say keep them shaded from Sun like in nature so I will keep them out of Sun this time. Looking for any other advice you folks may have though.
By tommyr
madrone wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:22 am Are yours P. primuliflora (as with the OP)? This guide doesn't touch on lighting, but hits other cultural tips: https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/ ... Pinguicula

Good luck with your new plants
Yes they are P. primuliflora and I've seen that site already thanks. For now I give them bright shade.
By tommyr
tommyr wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:09 pm
madrone wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:22 am Are yours P. primuliflora (as with the OP)? This guide doesn't touch on lighting, but hits other cultural tips: https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/ ... Pinguicula

Good luck with your new plants
Yes they are P. primuliflora and I've seen that site already thanks. For now I give them bright shade.
Update:
Mine are still alive and one is blooming and the other has started sending up a stalk.
By madrone
tommyr wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:38 pm Update:
Mine are still alive and one is blooming and the other has started sending up a stalk.
Always nice to have a successful update - good job with your lovely pings!
tommyr liked this
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!