FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Starchy
Just wondering if there are new VFT Cultivars in the FTS TC Lab/Greenhouse? Some of the ones I would love to see include, but are not limited to:
  • Angelwings
  • ERROR
  • Giant Clam
  • Harmony
  • Jaws Smiley
  • Miss Pimbeche
  • Phalanx
  • Scarlatine
  • Werewolf
Just wondering if we might be seeing any of these in the FTS? I am sure you guys knew a post like this would be coming now that 'Dionaea The Venus's Flytrap' is published ;) Great book by the way.
By Matt
Starchy wrote:Angelwings
Have it in tissue culture as of this spring. Will likely have some for sale next year.
Starchy wrote:ERROR
Giant Clam
Miss Pimbeche
Phalanx
Werewolf
I don't grow any of these, though I would like to add all of them to my collection sometime soon. Once I do, it will be at least a year or two before I'm able to get them in TC and propagated.
Starchy wrote:Harmony
Jaws Smiley
I grow both of these, but am unlikely to propagate them. Harmony looks a lot like Coquillage and Green Wizard. Jaws Smiley looks like Alien. We will sell Coquillage and Alien, but will likely not sell Harmony, Green Wizard and Jaws Smiley. We may have natural divisions to offer on eBay from time to time, but will likely not TC and propagate them...though that could change.
Starchy wrote:Scarlatine
This is another one of the variegated clones. I do grow it, but I'm still unsure as to what is causing the variegation. I'm playing it very cautious with these plants (Spotty and Scarlatine) and haven't decided if I will or will not propagate them.
Matt liked this
By Starchy
Matt wrote:
Starchy wrote:Scarlatine
This is another one of the variegated clones. I do grow it, but I'm still unsure as to what is causing the variegation. I'm playing it very cautious with these plants (Spotty and Scarlatine) and haven't decided if I will or will not propagate them.
Is that for fear of the features reverting back to typical, as some wacky traps do?
By Matt
Starchy wrote:Is that for fear of the features reverting back to typical, as some wacky traps do?
No. The variegation is very dependable. And, as far as I know, Wacky Traps never reverts to a typical either. The only cultivars I've heard that revert to having typical traps is Biohazard and Pom Pom. But my Biohazard continues to make its odd traps after having grown it for 2+ years.
akinkysnorlax wrote:Some growers believe that spotty and scarlatine have virus' that cause their unique traits, instead of the plant growing these traits on their own.
That's correct. Though I don't know of anyone who 100% believes it is a virus. There are just a few who believe that it potentially could be a virus, including me. I do not want to be responsible for propagating and distributing a Dionaea virus to hundreds or thousands of growers. What I might try to do is see if the virus is transmissible and, if it doesn't seem to be, go ahead and propagate the plants. The variegation certainly doesn't seem to make the plants weaker or slower growing in any way. Spotty and Scarlatine are exceptionally vigorous plants.
By Starchy
Matt wrote:
Starchy wrote:Is that for fear of the features reverting back to typical, as some wacky traps do?
No. The variegation is very dependable. And, as far as I know, Wacky Traps never reverts to a typical either. The only cultivars I've heard that revert to having typical traps is Biohazard and Pom Pom.
My mistake, I meant Biohazard. I couldn't remember which weird VFT it was.
rellenburg wrote:Werewolf is one I'd like to find...
What I find most intriguing about Werewolf is that it has no trigger hairs. Plus, it looks really cool!
By MikeB
Matt wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:58 pm That's correct. Though I don't know of anyone who 100% believes it is a virus. There are just a few who believe that it potentially could be a virus, including me. I do not want to be responsible for propagating and distributing a Dionaea virus to hundreds or thousands of growers. What I might try to do is see if the virus is transmissible and, if it doesn't seem to be, go ahead and propagate the plants. The variegation certainly doesn't seem to make the plants weaker or slower growing in any way. Spotty and Scarlatine are exceptionally vigorous plants.
Hopefully, Spotty and Scarlatine just have the flytrap equivalent of freckles.
DUB-C liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!