FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By cnrose
MaxSea is wonderful, and I use it on nearly all my carnivorous plants (and even some non-carnivores). However I use it mostly on my non-epiphytic plants, because epiphytes may not like its small urea content. This probably wouldn't ever become an issue, especially if you're using it for foliar feeding rather than root-fertilization and regularly flush your soil, but I'm playing it safe.

If you are looking for an additional fertilizer recommendation, I use fish emulsion specifically to root-fertilize and pitcher-feed my Nepenthes. Hydrolysate may also work, and would be significantly less foul-smelling.
By TrapsAndDews
thepitchergrower wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:01 pm And the fact that you can get it for free from the seed bank!
I'm just sitting here and waiting as the time slowly goes by to get to be eligible for tier 2. As soon as February 13th comes, I'm requesting some Maxsea.
By tommyr
Watch a few videos from California Carnivores. Damon Uses Maxsea for everything except Pings. On pings he switched to Schultz cactus fertilizer. He uses a pump sprayer to sprays all the plants.
By Dragonslayer126
MaxVft wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:53 am I've been having the same question. MaxSea and Osmocote seem to be super popular with CP growers (including myself).

I think it's because MaxSea is known as a foliar fertilizer and CPs are OK with foliar, but not soil fertilizer. But that's just my opinion.
All I've heard was mostly bad things about maxi and osmocote. So I stay away from them
By ChefDean
To help many people; remember, in all things, moderation.
Osmocote (for Neps) and Maxsea (for almost every other carnivorous plant) has been tested by use many times over.
To that end, if you're unsure, use moderation. Put a single Osmocote pellet into a single Nep pitcher to gauge its reaction to chemical fertilizer. The pitcher may die, but see how the plant reacts.
Put a single droplet of 1/4 tsp of Maxsea to one gallon distilled water on a single sundew/Pinguicula leaf. Or a single spritz of solution on a Flytrap/other CP. Or 5 ml into a single pitcher of Sarracenia or Cephalotus. See how the plant responds.
If the plants response isn't what you want, then use the rest of the chemical fertilizer (Osmocote or Maxsea) on your lawn or garden, and let the plant catch its own fertilizer.
Realize that the plants reaction will take months to come to fruition, but may actually be more than a zero sum game.
In my experience, early Spring chemical fertilizer will give a boost. But late Spring/early Summer bugs will be more beneficial. A late Summer/early Fall boost of chemical fertilizer will be nice, but not necessary, as they will have more than enough to see them through dormancy.
MikeB liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

I know it's gonna be a blast!!! Wish I could come[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!