FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Ewreck
I just mixed my first gallon of maxsea and I didn’t have a 1/4 tsp only a 1/2. So I just eye balled half of the 1/2 tsp and I checked the PPM and it is 59. Is this good?
How many PPMs should I be at for the 1/4 tsp?
By NightRaider
There's quite a bit of variation on how much Maxsea people actually use anyway; it's not like anything above 1/4tsp a gallon will kill your plants. 1/4tsp is just one of the most commonly cited dilutions to use, but I know a good number of people use or have used 1/2tsp or even more without issues. For example, the "Maxsea = MaxROIDS" thread on the sarracenia forums references using 1tsp/gal (though granted, for filling sarracenia pitchers rather than a general foliar feed). And personally, I'm really not sold on how much ppm specifically matters for Maxsea anyway since it's generally used as a foliar feed and not poured into the roots (which I'd expect probably would damage your stuff even if it was a "safe" ppm). Anyway, obviously the actual safe limit depends on how you're using it, how often, how much, and how sensitive the plants are among other things, so a small variation in an already light dilution generally won't make a difference all other things being the same.
By MikeB
NightRaider wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:44 am And personally, I'm really not sold on how much ppm specifically matters for Maxsea anyway since it's generally used as a foliar feed and not poured into the roots (which I'd expect probably would damage your stuff even if it was a "safe" ppm).
With my Sarracenia seedlings, I give the soil at the base of each plant a squirt of Maxsea (1/4 teaspoon per gallon) once a month during the growing season. It doesn't harm the plants, and it has a big impact on their growth. When the seedlings get big enough, I stop spraying the soil and fill one pitcher per plant with the diluted Maxsea instead.
Intheswamp liked this
By NightRaider
That's interesting and good to know for future reference. Now that you mention it, that reminds me I did read something before about soil fertilizing with osmocote, maybe when I was looking into regias, I'd just totally forgotten about it. In my defense though I was mostly thinking about Dionaea and Drosera when I wrote that, so I probably did generalize a bit too much.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!